Flag on top of the Town Hall

I notice the cross of St Patrick is flying today instead of the Union flag. The cross of St Andrew's was flown in November. Has the council always done this for countries that Sheffield is not part of?

Does anyone know if they flew the dragon on St David's day, I really hope not.

I notice the cross of St Patrick is flying today instead of the Union flag. The cross of St Andrew's was flown in November. Has the council always done this for countries that Sheffield is not part of?

The council would'nt have flown it if the IRA had have blown up the city hall, in the 70s,grrrrh

The council would'nt have flown it if the IRA had have blown up the city hall, in the 70s,grrrrh

The Cross of Saint Patrick is not an IRA flag. What the IRA did, or didn't do, or ever wanted to do, is an irrelevance to this topic.

Will they be flying the red flag on May 1st?

Soon it will be the chinese flag up on top of it!!

Soon it will be the chinese flag up on top of it!!

going on what some on here say youd think itd be a muslim flag :suspect:

going on what some on here say youd think itd be a muslim flag :suspect:

Is there such a thing Mel?

Is there such a thing Mel?

There are official Muslims colours; offhand I think they're red, green and black, but I'm not committing myself to that without going to check.

A flag of, say, Iran, which is definitely a Muslim theocracy, or of Saudi Arabia which is a practical one (the King and the Parliament always follow Islamic rules as laid down by their Muslim advisors) could reasonably be called "A Muslim flag." If the ancient Caliphate had a flag of its own, that would definitely be a Muslim flag, but I don't know whether or not it ever did.

In the eighties, on May day, Blunkett had a red flag flying at the town hall.

There are official Muslims colours; offhand I think they're red, green and black, but I'm not committing myself to that without going to check.

A flag of, say, Iran, which is definitely a Muslim theocracy, or of Saudi Arabia which is a practical one (the King and the Parliament always follow Islamic rules as laid down by their Muslim advisors) could reasonably be called "A Muslim flag." If the ancient Caliphate had a flag of its own, that would definitely be a Muslim flag, but I don't know whether or not it ever did.

So might it be more precise to say that they have some shared similarities and not a flag that identifies Muslim's.

So might it be more precise to say that they have some shared similarities and not a flag that identifies Muslim's.

Of the national flags I mentioned, yes. They can reasonably, but not with entirely strict accuracy, be called "Muslim flags."

Of the hypothetical flag of the Caliphate, that would explicitly be a Muslim flag; the Caliphate was, wholly and exclusively, a regime that was intended to control all Muslim areas.

(It did, of course, try very hard to turn other, non-Muslim areas into Muslim areas and also control those, so that ultimate success would have seen the Caliphate entirely dominate and entirely Muslim world.)

Sheffield wouldn't have been blown up by the IRA as most councillors and MP's in Sheffield (including Helen Jackson) were Sinn Fein supporters.

I too wonder if they did it for other countries too. I think they flew the gay flag for national gay and lesbian week.

Edited by woodmally
typo