What is the brook through Woodseats called?

It is called boundary brook.

I always thought that The Don was the boundary Northumbria and Mercia and Meersbrook was the county boundary between Yorkshire and Derbyshire, hence Derbyshire Lane.

The Meers Brook will join the Don after joining the Sheaf near Heeley Bottom so you both may be correct.

It is called boundary brook.

really ?

How did you come by that information ?

:)

really ?

How did you come by that information ?

:)

I read it in the Domesday book.:)

The Biological Records Centre calls it Cobnar Brook. Not sure how they know, though, as it's not on any maps, and nobody local seems to call it anything in particular.

If cobnar is going to have a Brook named after it are you sure they have not got the wrong one as there is a spring at the top of cobnar road which runs in a channel.

If cobnar is going to have a Brook named after it are you sure they have not got the wrong one as there is a spring at the top of cobnar road which runs in a channel.

Have you ever considered that people from different areas and different periods called it different names? It is not unusual for that to happen.:)

Meers Brook starts at Gleadless and flows westward until it merges with the River Sheaf at Heeley. In ancient times it was the boundary line that seperated the Kingdoms of Northumbria and Mercia.

The reason there's no name or map reference for the brook that flows through Woodseats is because it isn't a brook at all. It's part of the land seep and sewage overspill system. The systems aim is to prevent flooding by allowing excess water to drain out of the land and excess water to escape from the sewage pipes whenever we have torrential rainstorms. (If you were to follow the flow of your so-called 'Brook' you would probably find it merges with the River Sheaf. As most of the overspill systems in Sheffield merge into the rivers).

The reason there's no name or map reference for the brook that flows through Woodseats is because it isn't a brook at all. It's part of the land seep and sewage overspill system. The systems aim is to prevent flooding by allowing excess water to drain out of the land and excess water to escape from the sewage pipes whenever we have torrential rainstorms. (If you were to follow the flow of your so-called 'Brook' you would probably find it merges with the River Sheaf. As most of the overspill systems in Sheffield merge into the rivers).

That is a strange claim.

Whilst the stream originates from the overspills of the ponds in Graves Park, they and the stream are fed from natural drainage and springs.

The stream in question and its route have a degree of permanence and to suggest that the gorge has never been named is very unlikely.

That is a strange claim.

Whilst the stream originates from the overspills of the ponds in Graves Park, they and the stream are fed from natural drainage and springs.

The stream in question and its route have a degree of permanence and to suggest that the gorge has never been named is very unlikely.

Correct. It was once a natural stream. I'd like to know its name too, so if I find anything I'll post it up.

It is officially known by the council and the parks department as Graves Park Brook, thats what they always call it when ive had dealings with them concerning this over the years. It is also listed by the national rivers authority as Graves Park Brook. The maintanence of it gets very, very, very ,complicated as part of it comes under sheffield homes as it was part of the land deal when the fraser estate was built.

It runs from the boating lake (as was) at graves park and joins the river (sheaf ?) underneath / near laycocks old site . A large amount of it is piped where it goes under chesterfield road , barbers field and under laycocks sports club / works & Archer Road.

I understand that there are some very very old maps that do call it another name but I have never seen them.

The brook about to go under chesterfield road

DSCN1039406093.jpg

Remember that names change and some sources will differ, I have seen documents that refer to the woods behind cobnar road / Helmton Drive as Wellfield Woods. In a late 1800s land ownership document for woodseats Chancett is spelt Chancittt.

Edited by bus man

I reviewed all the historical maps I could and it appears to never have been named in them. Graves Park Brook sounds good to me! The likelihood of springs feeding those boating lakes is high - there are plenty in this area. Interesting to chart the gradual loss of the stream through Woodseats on its way to the River Sheaf. It appeared to have been diverted away from its original confluence with the Sheaf by the railway, running alongside this in a northeasterly direction rather than the expected northwesterly direction. The outfall is exactly here now: http://goo.gl/maps/J7u1J.

I have been trying to find out on line but have drawn a blank. There is a brook that runs through woodseats, it goes down through graves park and behind the big tree.

I am sure someone once said waht the name was, but I can't remember and would like to know, thanks.

here's a clue! a brook running through woodseats, it might be called woodseats brook. :hihi: