Internet Running Slow

I have the latest version of Google Chrome and Avast Free running and have only a few tabs opened really, got some YouTube videos running and a Word document open, nothing too major, but every now and then when I access the internet, there is always a massive delay in opening pages and on the top of Chromes tabs for the pages the circle keeps going round and round almost like there are processes running in the back ground but have no idea what.

Could there be something running in the background causing this stand still and are there any ways I can detect what is slowing me down, my internet connection is with BT Infinity so it can not be that surely, something else must be slowing down.

I have the latest version of Google Chrome and Avast Free running and have only a few tabs opened really, got some YouTube videos running and a Word document open, nothing too major, but every now and then when I access the internet, there is always a massive delay in opening pages and on the top of Chromes tabs for the pages the circle keeps going round and round almost like there are processes running in the back ground but have no idea what.

Could there be something running in the background causing this stand still and are there any ways I can detect what is slowing me down, my internet connection is with BT Infinity so it can not be that surely, something else must be slowing down.

Have you consulted "Task Manager?" Could be Avast scanning...

mines been crap off and on for the past few days, just one of those things

Nope, Avast is not on a schedule so can not be that, very odd, could it be Defender or processes running with it, wonder what it could be.

Nope, Avast is not on a schedule so can not be that, very odd, could it be Defender or processes running with it, wonder what it could be.

I was thinking more of Avast scanning web pages rather than doing a scheduled scan of your PC. Windows Defender - Is that not now MSE? (Microsoft Security Essentials)

Oh rite, so is there a way of speeding things up or is that just the antivirus doing its job?

Try disabling the webshield and see if that improves things.

Will that not make my system open to threats.

Just try it and if websites are more responsive then you know what is causing the problem/ I personally dislike Avast. MSE is better.

Not really. The webshield filters HTTP traffic, any malicious code would still have to run so would be caught sooner or later - the webshield would just catch it earlier.

Anyhows, I'm not saying disable it permanently, just temporarily and if it proves to be that then you can tweak it or choose between performance or security.

Windows Defender - Is that not now MSE? (Microsoft Security Essentials)
No, they're separate products. If you install MSE it turns off Defender as it incorporates Defender's definitions. Defender still installed as standard with Vista & Win7.

No, they're separate products. If you install MSE it turns off Defender as it incorporates Defender's definitions. Defender still installed as standard with Vista & Win7.

Thanks. I am so far behind the times. I use to used Giant AntiSpyware in 2003. I am sure Microsoft bought them out in 2005, or there about, and renamed it Defender.