Rileys on Mansfield Road

Has anyone been to the Rileys just down from Intake on Mansfield Road, I went last month after a few years and the whole place has gone rite down hill, they have taken out most of the American pool tables for English ones, they stopped showing Sky Sports ages ago, there is very little in the way of atmosphere and to cap it off they have a few poker tables in the main bar area, the rest of the interior is also very depressing and there is no maintenance at all to the walls, carpets or tables and the place just generally looks a mess, it needs a complete rethink on what it needs to do because the night I went to last month there was only 1 staff member on and even she looked fairly peed off at times.

I was thinking, I went bowling to that Fastlane Bowl at Handsworth a few weeks ago for my birthday, that is directly above a Rileys club and we had a great time, it was bright and pleasant inside and the prices were pretty good as well and the whole place was rather busy with a buzz as well. Now I was told that this also belongs to Rileys, not given the Rileys on Mansfield Road is so big with a massive unit next door, why on earth do they not convert that Rileys into a bowling lane, it would give the area some much needed entertainment and night life as well give the kids somewhere to go, it would be a gold mine for this end of Sheffield, who else agrees?

Edited by Speed Demon

Rileys, used to be a bowling alley, many many years ago.

I think it should go back to one, really, is there anything at all for kids to do on the Hackenthorpe side of Sheffield, not much at all.

Riley's is currently going through a mini refurb with a view to it being changed in to a fan zone or sports zone or something when additional dart boards will be one of the improvements. I have commented on the carpet in the snooker room in the past where a refurb meant a new roll of gaffer tape. They have mentioned getting sky sports back but it is very expensive for a venue that size. We don't need another bowling alley, Handsworth and Firth Park aren't that busy as it is.

Dont you think it is down to how it is managed? It could be a barn but if the atmosphere is right people will go. The same manager for years thats why it has gone downhill and will get to the bottom without change happening.

I usually go to Riley's in Handsworth but went to that one last week. There was one person on and we waited a while as she had to find and renew a membership for the person in front. The table was ok but the carpet was worse than threadbare. It was a health and safety risk. The Handsworth 'branch' tables are looking the worse for wear these days. They got taken over a while back and I am guessing that money is tight. I was told that each venue has its own budget and when it's gone, that's it.

I go about ten times a month, don't quite know what your problem with the poker tables is, poker nights are Tuesday and Friday, on Tuesdays poker players are the majority of the customers. Have been tonight and every snooker table was being used and about half of pool tables so it can't be that bad.

the english tables have replaced the american ones as more people enjoy the english game more.

also this has helped rileys win the tender to host games for the south yorks pool team which inturn might attract more players to the club.

I have been to all of the Riley's and the one at Intake does need a good refurbishment. If you have got a car your better off going to the one just off Sharrow Vale Road, it is mint in that place plus they have ESPN on big screen as well. The one at Handsworth is average I think they could sort out the back pool room though as it's very depressing.

OPEN DAY!!!!! Friday 13th April 2012 @ 12 noon - 10pm.

Ace Snooker Hall

Walkley Community Centre

7A Fir Street

Walkley

S6 3TG

Please come along and have a look around and have a knock about on our tables free of charge.

Search Ace Snooker Hall on facebook