Grocery Shopping Online

I am considering doing my main food shopping online and just keeping the fresh fruit and veg and meat shopping for the market, that way it will be best of both worlds as am on the tightest of budgets so instead of going to the shop and buying things I do not need and wasting money, here I will be able to total the amounts precisely and be sure that I am managing my money as best I can.

Now, what are the main pros and cons of doing a food shop online and what are the cheapest places to shop from Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco and Morrisons and are any of these free delivery or do I have to shop a certain amount to get that?

Edited by Speed Demon

None of them do free delivery as far as I know. Different times on different days will be more expensive than some, and if you take a 12 hour slot rather than a smaller 2 or 4 hour slot, it is usually cheaper (I normally pay £2.50 delivery from Asda)

Asda, if you order a few things that are out of stock, will give you an alternative. Example, if you buy 10 tins of Smart Price beans at 12p each, and they are out of stock, they will substitute with 10 tins of Heinz beans, and you still pay £1.20. Tesco, I believe, charge you for the higher priced substitutes (from what I've read here, not personal experience). You can check and tell them to take anything back that you don't approve of before accepting the order though.

If you're planning to keep getting fruit and meat from the market, no problem there with not being able to check which meat you get, really fatty bacon, off colour mince, bruised apples etc. This can be a major downfall of it, although they insist they give you only the freshest stuff!

If you do a Google search for Tesco discount codes, you can normally get £10 or £15 off your first shop of over £50 or more, and both Tesco and Asda (I've not used the others) send you regular money off email deals :) x

Asda, have delivery slots from about £2 plus, if you are prepared to let them deliver within a 8 hour slot. I do this when I am going to be in all day.

I'm not to keen on online shopping, I've tried it a few times but got sick of them being late, not turning up, missing shopping out but charging for it or charging me twice!

If you do try it, do a search online for free delivery voucher codes, there are often some flying around.

I'm not too keen on how some of the shoppers collect your stuff either, they don't even look, just grab the first item off the shelf which means you end up with food which is often close to the best before date and then throw it into the baskets.

I have just started doing my shopping online again with Asda, I use to do it online but had problems with damaged items, some items not there once I started unpacking, driver not turning up etc, this was a few years ago, however my last 3 shops with Asda have all been great, all my items have been there, no damaged items, driver actually came early on two of these occasions so I wasnt waiting around for the full 2 hours, only a couple of items were substituted and they did choose good items instead which I kept, one was for 80 tea bags I ordered and got 240 instead for the same price as the 80 were not in stock, it does had its benefits, and the best bit is not having to put your stuff in a trolley, take it out of the trolley, put it back in the trolley, take it out of your trolley into the car, take it out of the car, unpack, I dont miss doing all that!

What about people like me who can only use a bus, carrying 3 or 4 heavy bags on a bus can be a nightmare at times, especially crossing the roads and opening the communal doors in my flats.

What about people like me who can only use a bus, carrying 3 or 4 heavy bags on a bus can be a nightmare at times, especially crossing the roads and opening the communal doors in my flats.

The best thing to do is try it for yourself. Where do you usually shop? The reviews for Asda delivery are generally better than Tesco. Morrisons don't do home delivery. Have you looked at Iceland, that may save you a bit?

Is it really cheaper to buy meat and veg from the market any more? Last time I went it cost me more than it would from Morrisons and I had to pay for parking to boot.

mods/admin - hope its ok to post a link to another website?

if you go onto moneysavingexpert.com website, there is a massive discussion forum - on one of the sub forum's there is a long thread on the codes for getting free delivery/extra points for supermarkets such as tesco (but they do tend to be the minimum spend type codes, ie spend £40 and get free delivery or £5 off shopping)

if you are on a tight budget, the website might give you some pointers on where to save money, and the 'money saving old style' sub forum can be very helpful when you are down to living on fresh air at the end of the month!!! (as i have been on more than one occasion!)

mods/admin - hope its ok to post a link to another website?

if you go onto moneysavingexpert.com website, there is a massive discussion forum - on one of the sub forum's there is a long thread on the codes for getting free delivery/extra points for supermarkets such as tesco (but they do tend to be the minimum spend type codes, ie spend £40 and get free delivery or £5 off shopping)

if you are on a tight budget, the website might give you some pointers on where to save money, and the 'money saving old style' sub forum can be very helpful when you are down to living on fresh air at the end of the month!!! (as i have been on more than one occasion!)

The moneysavingexpert site is great for voucher codes. There's myvouchercodes too.

I struggle to get the shopping bill for four of us per week below £120.

I live at the bottom end of Hackenthorpe so I use Sainsburrys at Crystal Peaks and just get the bus back, though, I am not always completely satisfied with their food so would like a change.

I've just done mine online with Asda, its really simple once you've done it once, it saves all the things you buy for you to add easily the next time, it can be a pain searching the first time around though, you always miss things :)

we have had the shopping delivered for a few years now and find it a real money saver as you don't impulse buy.When we first started we would order the fruit and veg but found that it had a very short shelf life so we just stick to buying groceries.

My Daughter and Mum in law live very close so we do everyone's shop and have it brought to our house and split the delivery charge