No free skips for voluntary conservation groups to use

For the past few weeks I have been busy voluntarily picking up litter and other rubbish in Gleadless Valley woodland and open-spaced areas. Unfortunately I've had difficulty getting someone from StreetForce to come out and collect the large black plastic bags I've filled with litter etc..

So I contacted the Parks and Countryside Ranger Service and asked if they could supply me with a free skip so I could place the bags in it ready for Sheffield city council to collect the skip when full and dispose of the rubbish lawfully.

On 14 March 2012 a ranger emailed me saying; "Due to the cuts in Sheffield city council services there is no longer any free skips for volunteer conservation persons or groups to use". The ranger has passed on to me the 'phone number of a person at Sheffield Homes who may be able to sort something out with regards to collecting the bags I fill in future.

I sincerely hope the person at Sheffield Homes can assist me, otherwise it will mean my litter picking days are over and the area where I live will get more untidy due to people dropping their litter or dumping their unwanted items in our woodland and green open-spaces.

PLEASE HELP KEEP SHEFFIELD TIDY.

We have a voluntary organisation in Stannington which carries out litter picking on a regular basis but we have our own trailer for transporting the black bags. However, one of our volunteers litter picks every week around where she lives so has arranged with neighbours to use their bins for the black sacks.

Have you been in touch with the Tenants' and Residents' Association (TARA)?: http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/MyCommunity/WelcomeToTheCommunities/GleadlessValleyTARA/GleadlessValleyTARA.aspx

They may be able to help. I'd imagine most people who care about the area must be grateful to you for trying to clean it up a bit.

Found myself in similar predicament - 8 tons of filth deposited by others and volnteered to undertake clean up.

Not only was a skip request refused but a threat of fine if i didnt supply the skip for other peoples crap............ Sheffield council dont get me started...

Hope you have better luck but your first prob is to locate acouncil employee with common sense.

It might be an option to ask the people, who live locally, if they would mind an extra bag of rubbish in their black bins. I wouldn't mind putting a bag of rubbish in my bin if someone was public spirited enough to clear the rubbish.

You could put a leaflet through people's doors, and ask them. I believe there a number of older people living in that area who may have space in their bins.