Why do Sheffield people stand still on escalators?

Originally posted by SWFC00

Out of all the places I've ever been, only seen it done in London... And that's cos it's all me, me, me down there.

Or perhaps they'd like to get out of the tube station quicker as they're more likely to get blown up down there?? Fortunately something we don't have to worry about up here.

Originally posted by SallyLaLaLa

Or perhaps they'd like to get out of the tube station quicker as they're more likely to get blown up down there?? Fortunately something we don't have to worry about up here.

no so sure about that, i seem to recall a rumour about 7 years ago that 3 dozen body bags had been sent to meadowhall 2 weeks before christmas, apparently by the ira.

that said, it was probably only a rumour.

because were better than everybody else!! :D

we don't have a subway culture here :)

Well, thanks to all. Obviously I am indeed bad mannered, impatient, a 'stress monkey with veins on temples poopping out,' sad, obnoxious and socially inept and of course I never welcome a 30 second pause for thought even when its inevitable.

At least frodo had irony. Special thanks to babychickens and tylo alba who seem to be living on my planet.

(Actually, perhaps I'm in a hurry because I haven't that much time left?)

I find if you stand to the side you can use the brushes near the stairs to give your shoes a little shine as you go up.

Of course to do the other side of the shoe I have to go back down the esculator.

Then there's the other shoe...

Where does the day go?

Originally posted by tom_fordo

..and stand solidly in the middle, blocking everyone who wants to walk.

If you want to walk then USE THE STAIRS.

Just plain Lazyness.....its like people who walk perfectly well, yet have crutches....u see them running down the street on their own, then when they walk past someone, start to use the crutches!!!!

Originally posted by Rich

At least nobody's silly enough to try and walk up a downward bound escalator, or vice versa.. :lol:

Or are they? :suspect:

Hehe - I've done that in Bromley - it was only a few weeks back. It was late in the evening, and I was in a rush to get a 269 bus that was about to leave outside that shop - fortunately I caught the bus, but lost my bus pass so had to get off, later find my pass and catch the next bus, and because it was evening time, it was a 20 minute wait!

I'm used to standing on the right - or in moments of hurrying, I run up the left - this is probably because I'm used to living in 'Selfish Land'

:)

Saves on shoe leather.

Sheffield folk like to get value for money ;)

Nope, it's definately standing on the right, leaving the left for those in a hurry or in need of the exercise

yes that's as true in London as it is here in Bangkok, even in the shopping malls. Thais are a lot more laidback than any English people, even Sheffielders, and they're notoriously reluctant to walk anywhere unless they can possibly help it, but a lot of them don't see any contradiction in walking a few paces up their escalators.

Of course, they drive on the left as well. That might be something to do with it.

When I worked in Germany, I noticed how rude the pedestrians can be.

They seems to have tunnel vision and don't like veering off thier chosen course.

Fit Office girls seem to be the worst offenders and twice I deliberatly braced myself for impact when I decided to stand my ground.

This girl wasn't going to let anyone get in her way and she was steaming straight into my path, so I thought F##K it, I'm not changin direction.

She bounced staight off me and landed on her back side.

She hurled some abuse at me which I couldn't understand and I just laughed back and continued walking.

Another cultural lesson for pedestrians travelling in Germany.

If you are on a train you will encounter someone that appears to want a staring competition.

Now being British, the rules of convention for a man when walking past another man on the street is to look him in the eye then look straight on. If you don't look him in the eye then you could be portrayed as being weak. If you stare too long it could cause a confrontation. Its a fine line, but it's a subliminal thing you just know how long to hold the stare.

So with this cultural male behaviour breed into me, I was freeked out by the Staring Germans.

On a frequent basis (Virtually daily) whilst commuting I ended steaming at the ears because some Krout would just stare at me... and stare.... and stare.... and stare I'd look away... look back ... staring.... look away ... for longer ... look back... staring.... WTF Im gonna kill you... look away.... 5 minutes passes.... look back.... staring. RIGHT IM GONNA KILL YOU LOL..

At the time it wasn't funny..

It ended by me having to take reading material on the train otherwise I was gonna end up punching some nutters lights out.

I've never read so many paper backnovels in that 6 month stretch in Frankfurt than the rest of my life put together, no joke!

He He

Originally posted by babychickens

no so sure about that, i seem to recall a rumour about 7 years ago that 3 dozen body bags had been sent to meadowhall 2 weeks before christmas, apparently by the ira.

that said, it was probably only a rumour.

The hoax about a bomb threat to mad-as-hell is put to rest, in a subject-specific thread on here, thanks.

Threads about it, date from as early as 2002, on here, and has been scotched a number of times. I t was resurrected again, in November 2005

The link?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69723

In fact, perm any eight-from-ten Shopping Malls across the UK, Europe and the USA, and you will find rumours about that particular Shopping Mall being under threat from the IRA/ Islamic terrorists/ The Brigato Rossi/ The Basque Seperatists or the Baader-Meinhofs...

PT