Yorkshire Water 8.5% Rise

Yet another silly post, and wrong.

By definition it cannot be wrong. The appropriate price for a service is the price people are willing to pay in order to receive it.

By definition it cannot be wrong. The appropriate price for a service is the price people are willing to pay in order to receive it.

It's not a case of being willing though, is it? You and I both know that realistically, there is no alternative.

mmm what i don't understand is standing charge £41.91 fixed charge,which covers billing and customer service costs,so i get 1 bill a year and never contact customer services,so i think that price is a lot for a bill....:o

That's atrocious.

i am not actually willing to pay YW for what they provide, we do so under duress as there is no alternative way within our system since the utility companies were privatised. thats why energy bills have soared and given half a chance the water companies would do the same, operating costs would rocket up as they spent more money to justify doing so.

My bill has gone up by about 8% too. YW said in their letter which accompanied my bill that the average was 8.3 % despite the figures released by ofwat to the BBC earlier in the year suggesting rises limited to 6.1%.

I'm band A council tax so presumably among the lowest ratable value. I'd like to know where the 6.1% figure came from and if anyone has had less than an 8% increase.

3% here.

jb

i am not actually willing to pay YW for what they provide, we do so under duress as there is no alternative way within our system since the utility companies were privatised. thats why energy bills have soared and given half a chance the water companies would do the same, operating costs would rocket up as they spent more money to justify doing so.

Do you think prices would have been cheaper if they were all still nationalised?

What alternatives were available in our system before the water companies were privatised?

its a sore point for me because water is a necessity and yet they are allowed to get away with a leaky system and still make profits to pay big wages. should be non profit making for supply of a basic human need like water.

:thumbsup:

Where's the so-called competition? Some things should never be privatised.

This is the public utility that it never made sense to privatise. There's no way for water companies to compete over their product, and no benefit to the consumer from losing public ownership to a private minority of shareholders. They may argue that the cost of modernising the infrastructure causes higher prices, but we've only got their word for that.

The thing about public companies is that you should be able to see from their accounts where the money is going..

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/reports

Don't the water companies have a social obligation to provide water, regardless of payment?

If enough people refused to pay, what would they do? They are not legally allowed to cut off their supplies.

Slightly off-topic, but what kind of savings do you make by switching to a meter? In a smallish two person house?

What alternatives were available in our system before the water companies were privatised?

-

:thumbsup:

Where's the so-called competition?

Chris didn't answer what I asked, perhaps you can. You have agreed with him/her. So do you like competition or not? Chris implied that energy bills have soared with competition, and they also said that there is no alternative with water. So which is it? Do you want competition or not?

Don't the water companies have a social obligation to provide water, regardless of payment?

If enough people refused to pay, what would they do? They are not legally allowed to cut off their supplies.

Slightly off-topic, but what kind of savings do you make by switching to a meter? In a smallish two person house?

... probably try and bring legal action towards people, and put bills up to counteract the costs in the mean time. That's general business practice, though prices don't seem to reduce when things are sorted. *cough* *insurance*

What is the charge for a band a property.?