8500 GT or 8600 GTS Which is better?

bladesgirl

The 8600 is a better card, but i'd go for an 8800 from that range. However if you could give us a little more detail we could help more.

ie. What do you want to use it for? if games what kind of games. PCI-E or AGP? what's your current system? Processor, RAM etc. What kind of price range were you looking. By modern standards the 8000 Series is fairly old.

basically the 8500gt is from my machine and I have inherited another machine with the 8600gts graphics card (both are PCIE) just wondering really weather to stick with my 8500 gt 1gb or change the card to the 8600gts 512mb out of the other machine. not really using it for gaming or anything just basic stuff.

Edited by bladesgirl

The 8xxx are very old cards, why get one of those?

I got a GT240 about a year ago to replace my 8600GTS. Its basically about as fast as an 8800GT but uses a lot less electricity and has a more reliable fan.

The electricity thing is very relevant, as every card needs a different amount of power and upgrading your graphics card can end up more expensive than you expected, when you might need to upgrade your PSU as well.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I would go for the 8600gts. It is not just a case of numbers. The ram itself is not the main gauge of performance, things like stream processors etc typically indicate better performance. The 1gb might help keep things smoother at higher resolutions but it will still only have the 8500 that it's running with.

Chances are unless your using it for really heavy applications the 512mb would be fine. The gpu in and of itself should easily blitz the 8500gt imho.

As was mentioned they are nowhere near as good as present day cards anymore but i hope that answers your immediate question.

Is there a particular reason you need to choose between these two cards? Cost wise you should be able to get much better for around the same price.

Did you read the thread?

basically the 8500gt is from my machine and I have inherited another machine with the 8600gts graphics card (both are PCIE) just wondering really weather to stick with my 8500 gt 1gb or change the card to the 8600gts 512mb out of the other machine. not really using it for gaming or anything just basic stuff.