What is 5 + 3 * 0?

If people really can't be bothered remembering a handful of simple rules, maybe learning binary is the answer? Yeah, you have to write much longer numbers, but the maths itself is simply doubling and adding.

Our earliest civilisations new about that, so even the proud to be ignorant could get a handle on it, I'd imagine :hihi:

my bold ... A handful of simple rules that they were never taught about in the first place.

my second bold ... not proud to be ignorant, more critical of the standard of the teaching we got?

I realise, given your high standards, that it's probably a typo, but it's 'knew' ;)

And a Happy Pi Day to all on Sheffield Forum who have been riveted by this thread!

Hmmm, pi.

Rather interestingly today's date (14032012) first occurs at position 111,020,292 counting from the first digit after the decimal point. Not many people know that.

jb

101 + 11 x 0 = ?

Still 5.

I'm with Denlin and Willman on this one.

I'd never even heard of BODMAS until a couple of years ago and i'm now nearly retirement age. I've never used it in my life although i have been in mining and engineering most of my life. Even though i have A.M.E.M.E.(hons) (mining qualification), H.N.D.'s in engineering subjects and an engineering degree, the bodmas protocol was never taught or ever even mentioned in my academic years.

I can't understand why this topic is so confusing. BODMAS simple refers to the order you do a mathematical calculation. Just because there are no brackets, doesn't mean you do whatever you want.

Just let these people believe what they want, there is NOTHING on the internet to prove BODMAS is omitted in a calculation. Any programme; be it Excel or MATLAB, will apply BODMAS.

Edited by Archi3

I'd never even heard of BODMAS until a couple of years ago and i'm now nearly retirement age. I've never used it in my life although i have been in mining and engineering most of my life. Even though i have A.M.E.M.E.(hons) (mining qualification), H.N.D.'s in engineering subjects and an engineering degree, the bodmas protocol was never taught or ever even mentioned in my academic years.

So you also think that 6 people buying a bun and a coffee should be charged a different amount from 6 people buying a coffee and a bun?

They're demonstratively (and it's been demonstrated) wrong.

BODMAS is just a mnemonic to help remember the order of precedence of operators. There is no alternative order, multiplication always gets evaluated before addition and subtraction, it's just the way it is.

I'd never heard of BODMAS before this thread, but I still knew what order to evaluate things in, it's just basic maths!

my bold ... A handful of simple rules that they were never taught about in the first place.

my second bold ... not proud to be ignorant, more critical of the standard of the teaching we got?

I realise, given your high standards, that it's probably a typo, but it's 'knew' ;)

Ok, yeah, apologies. It seems that it was your maths curriculum at fault. And not just yours from the comments on this thread.

I feel lucky to have actually been taught stuff at school

And a Happy Pi Day to all on Sheffield Forum who have been riveted by this thread!

Is it 31st April today? Or is PI now 14.03? :)

Is it 31st April today? Or is PI now 14.03? :)

It's today. Date in yankydoodle format 03.14.

jb

They're demonstratively (and it's been demonstrated) wrong.

BODMAS is just a mnemonic to help remember the order of precedence of operators. There is no alternative order, multiplication always gets evaluated before addition and subtraction, it's just the way it is.

I'd never heard of BODMAS before this thread, but I still knew what order to evaluate things in, it's just basic maths!

If I use my "windows" calculator in standard mode it gives the answer to 5+3x2 as 16 .. if I use scientific mode it gives the answer as 11..why the difference.Does BODMAS not apply in all circumstances?

If I use my "windows" calculator in standard mode it gives the answer to 5+3x2 as 16 .. if I use scientific mode it gives the answer as 11..why the difference.Does BODMAS not apply in all circumstances?

BODMAS applies in all circumstances, no exceptions.

The difference in answers between the two modes on the calculator is down to how the data is processed. In the first instance the data is processed as it is entered i.e 5+3 is processed to give 8 then x 2 to give 16, in the second the data is not processed until the equals key is pressed meaning the calculator can take the sum as a whole and apply the appropriate orders of operation.

When using a calculator which processes the data as it is entered it is expected that the user will enter the data in the appropriate order of operation.

jb

ETA: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Calculators

The non-scientific calculator expects two operands and an operator. When the next operator is pressed, the expression is immediately evaluated and the answer becomes the left hand of the next operator. Advanced calculators allow entry of the whole expression, grouped as necessary, and only evaluates when the user uses the equals sign.
Edited by barleycorn