What is 5 + 3 * 0?

I have another possibility, uttered with impeccable logic by a person in a school, no less:

"It's eight.

Five plus three and then you don't multiply it by anything."

8 it is then.

I have another possibility, uttered with impeccable logic by a person in a school, no less:

"It's eight.

Five plus three and then you don't multiply it by anything."

8 it is then.

That would be the most popular one.

If i was using it i'd go for 7.

If you wanted to square the whole thing it would need brackets around the 3+2.

But if you apply your rule "BODMAS doesn't apply because there are no brackets, therefore calculate from left to right", you get:

3 + 2² = 5² = 25

Or are you applying another rule?

My phone calculator agrees with me too.

As you type it in to a calculater, it performs each step as a distinct operation. So it would give an answer of 0.

The answer to the op is still 0.

If you don't want to believe it or would prefer to ridicule or find fault please feel free.

If brackets aren't there,then they don't exist so BODMAS does not apply.

BODMAS always applies. The absence of brackets just means you start with "of", or if that doesn't appear either, you start with division and multiplication.

As you type it in to a calculater, it performs each step as a distinct operation. So it would give an answer of 0.

Depends on the calculator. Many modern ones don't perform any part of the calculation until you press "=". I assume this feature has been developed in response to, for instance, the fact that this thread is now ten pages long.

BODMAS always applies. The absence of brackets just means you start with "of", or if that doesn't appear either, you start with division and multiplication.

In which case you should all direct your own understanding to the tv show.

But if you apply your rule "BODMAS doesn't apply because there are no brackets, therefore calculate from left to right", you get:

3 + 2² = 5² = 25

The sum is 3 + 2squared, the square has never applied to the whole sum. That would need brackets.

In which you should all direct your own understanding to the tv show.

What do you mean "your own understanding"? It's maths, there's no debate.

3 + 2² = 5² = 25

No brackets rule read from l-r 3 + 2² = 3 + 4 = 7

(3 + 2)² = 5² = 25

The answer to the op is still 0.

If you don't want to believe it or would prefer to ridicule or find fault please feel free.

If brackets aren't there,then they don't exist so BODMAS does not apply. If its on a page discussing BODMAS it should be common sense that BODMAS will apply wouldn't you think?

As are all the "trick" questions posed.

I'm not trying to trick or ridicule you Willman. It would be nice if you could refer to some evidence of BODMAS not being applicable where there are no brackets.

I can't believe something that important to the maths world, would not be written down somewhere, in some respected source.

The sum is 3 + 2squared, the square has never applied to the whole sum. That would need brackets.

You're contradicting yourself. Your argument of always going from left to right requires "3+2" equals five, "squared" equals 25.