What is 5 + 3 * 0?

However, given that he has a BEd in Maths, he may in the future. It is extremely important, therefore, that he understands that BODMAS is an aid to remembering the only rules of operation.

He's primary though. They teach loads of stuff that secondary school teachers have to sort out later...

Edited by Lockjaw

I've been looking for Noel Edmunds on Twitter, no joy as yet...

Has anyone done anything productive as to finding out why a televised programme had 0 as the answer?

Clearly a teacher wrote the question and provided the answer.

I decided not to teach , i couldn't get my head round multiplying fractions.

Has anyone done anything productive as to finding out why a televised programme had 0 as the answer?

I searched for "smarter than a 10 year old correction" and "smarter than a ten year old complaints" but didn't find anything ...

I decided not to teach , i couldn't get my head round multiplying fractions.

Please tell me thats a joke.....from your other responses, its hard to tell.

I am not wrong and for the last time I am not a HE

I am not wrong and for the last time I am not a HE

Don't tell me you're a teacher as well... :o

(otherwise the references to "he" were refering to willman).

Either way, you're still wrong.

I accept I may be wrong. ;)

However, I do arithmetical exercises in a daily newspaper, and they always go straight from left to right regardless of whether its add, divide or multiply. I guess because each step is in a box, then the rules don't apply. I usually get them right too.

I only did simple arithmetic exercises at school. They tended to be based on how many items @ £3.2s.6d., or how long would it take 3 men to fill a bath...

I had no idea I should have used a mathematical formula. No one ever mentioned BODMAS to me or my classmates. Or suggested we divided before we subtracted. :confused:

However, as I've always managed to work out how much change I should get, and how many eggs make a dozen, I'm not going to worry too much now. But I'll be sure not to try and help my grandkids when they start getting maths homework.

However, I do arithmetical exercises in a daily newspaper, and they always go straight from left to right regardless of whether its add, divide or multiply. I guess because each step is in a box, then the rules don't apply. I usually get them right too.

I only did simple arithmetic exercises at school. They tended to be based on how many items @ £3.2s.6d., or how long would it take 3 men to fill a bath...

I had no idea I should have used a mathematical formula. No one ever mentioned BODMAS to me or my classmates. Or suggested we divided before we subtracted. :confused:

However, as I've always managed to work out how much change I should get, and how many eggs make a dozen, I'm not going to worry too much now. But I'll be sure not to try and help my grandkids when they start getting maths homework.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Me neither I think I'm now off Maths and Sudokus for life and the supermarket can add up the shopping bill, I'll take their word for it:help:

But what's the difference between "egg and chips three times" and "three egg and chips" ? ;)

"egg and chips three times"

You'd still be hungry with only three chips? :)

You'd still be hungry with only three chips? :)

Not if tha's got three eggs and some bread and butter:hihi::hihi: