What is 5 + 3 * 0?

No brackets rule read from l-r 3 + 2² = 3 + 4 = 7

You haven't read from left to right. You've applied the index before the addition, but the index is on the right of the addition.

The sum is 3 + 2squared, the square has never applied to the whole sum. That would need brackets.
So what rule are you using other than the "just go left to right"?

Clue. It might be BODMAS

I'm fed up of this now, it's getting barmy:roll:

yep it shows it in physical brackets so bodmas applies.multiply first then add.

In that isntance, the brakets imply parameters to a function (SUM).

I'm fed up of this now, it's getting barmy:roll:

Only because you're wrong. Feel free to address the issues raised in posts 192 and 193.

jb

I'm not trying to trick or ridicule you Willman. It would be nice if you could refer to some evidence of BODMAS not being applicable where there are no brackets.

I can't believe something that important to the maths world, would not be written down somewhere, in some respected source.

It doesn't matter if he's wrong....its not like he's teaching our kids maths is it?

It doesn't matter if he's wrong....its not like he's teaching our kids maths is it?
Well, no. Clearly he's not teaching anyone maths.

However, given that he has a BEd in Maths, he may in the future. It is extremely important, therefore, that he understands that BODMAS is an aid to remembering the only rules of operation.

In which case you should all direct your own understanding to the tv show.

It was on Sky I think willman.

Do you think they really care about the accuracy of the pap they peddle?...

However, given that he has a BEd in Maths, he may in the future. It is extremely important, therefore, that he understands that BODMAS is an aid to remembering the only rules of operation.

I was actually joking....the joke of this thread is that he IS a teacher. I did a maths degree...seems I'll need to teach my own kids maths.

That Noel Edmonds needs punching :D

I decided not to teach , i couldn't get my head round multiplying fractions.

Has anyone done anything productive as to finding out why a televised programme had 0 as the answer?