What is 5 + 3 * 0?

brackets first then follow the operations of BODMAS, so it will multiply first. It has brackets - simple.

The multiplication is not bracketed ... the whole thing is!

Ok, it's provoking professional curiosity now so I'll try again.

Try this one then:

=SUM((5+3)*0)

Why do you think you get a different answer?

brackets first then follow the operations of BODMAS, so it will multiply first. It has brackets - simple.
Willman:

Customers = 6

Bun = 1.05

Coffee = 3.50

Customers X Bun + Coffee = 9.80

Customers X Coffee + Bun = 22.05

The actual answer: (Bun + Coffee) x Customers = 27.30

Key stage 3 maths disagrees with you. Lets see if you can successfully complete these questions...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/schools/ks3bitesize/maths/quizengine?quiz=order_operation&templateStyle=maths

jb

Why do you insist on using examples listed under Order of Operations, that implies the use of BODMAS.

1. 3 + 6= 9 ÷ 3 = 3 x 2 = 6

3. 5 x 3 = 15-12 = 3 ÷ 4 = 0.75 + 8=8.75

4. 5 x 4 = 20 - 2 =18X3 =54 +16 = 70÷ 4 = 17.5 - where does Willman say otherwise?

Sorry about mistaking your sex.

Willman hasn't said otherwise anywhere. However, the page to which he provided a link has those questions at the bottom and your answer to number 1 is wrong. Not sure about the others but I'm guessing if you got the simple one wrong then the others will be wrong too.

Willman has an inability to see that BODMAS is merely mnemonics used as an aid to determine the order in which mathematical operations are performed. There are not 2 orders, as he suggests, i.e. one where brackets exist and one where they don't.

Just to further stir up the troubled waters, it appears that this confusion carries over into current 11 plus exams..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?t=15371

"I queried this with HarperCollins who stated that:

"These questions follow the format used on the actual Nfer tests. That is, the pupil is expected to work from left to right performing each operation in sequence, rather than following the mathematical rules concerning order of operations."

They confirmed that their practice paper is done to match the way NFER set the paper."

It is worth reading the first few posts.

This thread is funny...so many people are mathematically illiterate.

I'm going to a session tonight at my son's school about how maths is taught. He's 5, and started school in September 2011

Shall I ask when BODMAS is introduced ?

Willman:

Customers = 6

Bun = 1.05

Coffee = 3.50

Customers X Bun + Coffee = 9.80

Customers X Coffee + Bun = 22.05

The actual answer: (Bun + Coffee) x Customers = 27.30

You're quite correct in everyway,but each one is a different sum so 3 different answers are likely.

You don't need the SUM() bit. You can type =5+3*0 directly. No brackets. It comes out as 5.

http://www.vis-is.co.uk/data/grabs/bodmas-excel.jpg

Or how about on a scientific calculator (no brackets used again)

http://www.vis-is.co.uk/data/grabs/bodmas-ti83.jpg

So because the brackets aren't in place, do you assume that the programme ignores the rules?

The question is what is the sum of ...., thats what i typed, it placed it brackets and followed the rules exactly as it should.

You're examples state clearly they are following bodmas principles.

Just had a good explanation of the reasoning for the specific heirarchy of operation ... because of different directions of writing: chinese down, arabic right to left etc.

You're quite correct in everyway,but each one is a different sum so 3 different answers are likely.
Indeed. That's why I used the words that describe what the numbers mean, to demonstrate that saying the coffee shop sum as sentence has implied brackets, because BODMAS rules means that, it is the only way to arrange those 3 numbers mathematically and get the answer you want.

So because the brackets aren't in place, do you assume that the programme ignores the rules?

The question is what is the sum of ...., thats what i typed, it placed it brackets and followed the rules exactly as it should.

You assume that, because the program didn't give you the answer you expected, that it is ignoring the rules?

Thick, arrogant or trolling... which one?

No, only one answer is correct given your original question:

What is 1.05 + 3.50 * 6 = 22.05

The marvellous thing about mathematics is that it is constant, there are no choices only confusion.