What is 5 + 3 * 0?

Just had this question on 'smarter than a 10 year old':

What is 5 + 3 * 0?

I would have thought the answer is 5. The multiplication taking precedence over the addition, so; 5 + 3 * 0, is 5 + (3 * 0), which is, 5 + (0), so 5.

They gave the answer as 0 though, and the 10 year old had it right. Am I missing something? or maybe I'm not smarter than a 10 year old?..

Were there brackets i the original? If not, then 5 is the answer, as you'd apply BODMAS.

What is 5 + 3 * 0?

I would have thought the answer is 5. The multiplication taking precedence over the addition, so; 5 + 3 * 0, is 5 + (3 * 0), which is, 5 + (0), so 5.

They gave the answer as 0 though, and the 10 year old had it right. Am I missing something? or maybe I'm not smarter than a 10 year old?..

It is 0,

Anything times 0 give the answer 0.

What is 5 + 3 * 0?

Unless there were brackets the answer to anything multiplied by 0 is always 0 - the brackets do make a difference because you are supposed to calculate the sum inside the bracket first then add on 5 but if there is no bracket you do the sum as a whole therefore 0 is answer

Edited by denlin

Unless there were brackets the answer to anything multiplied by 0 is always 0 - the brackets do make a difference because you are supposed to calculate the sum inside the bracket first then add on 5 but if there is no bracket you do the sum as a whole therefore 0 is answer
Erm, no. The order in which the parts are calculated goes:

Brackets

Of

Divide

Multiply

Add

Subtract

So, as there are no brackets, you'd do the multiply, 3 x 0, which is zero, then you'd add the 5 on, making, erm, 5.

;)

There were no brackets in the original.

However, isn't there an order you are supposed to do the math operations in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

In mathematics and computer programming, the order of operations (sometimes called operator precedence) is a rule used to clarify unambiguously which procedures should be performed first in a given mathematical expression.

For example, in mathematics and most computer languages multiplication is done before addition; in the expression 2 + 3 × 4, the answer is 14. Brackets, which have their own rules, may be used to avoid confusion, thus the preceding expression may also be rendered 2 + (3 × 4), but the brackets are not required as multiplication still has precedence without them.

maybe they changed maths recently and you didn't get the memo.

There were no brackets in the original.

However, isn't there an order you are supposed to do the math operations in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

No - no brackets you do it as a complete sum or why do you need brackets at all? You seem to be saying that the way I was taught has been altered to give a different answer and yet the ten year old who put 0 was right - who is smarter?

Edited by denlin

No - no brackets you do it as a complete sum

So what would "2 + 3 × 4" come out to, with no brackets, just as a complete sum?

20 or 14?

Or is zero a special case and exempt from the order of operations?