Jack of all trades master of none??

what are peoples thoughts about people who "claim" to have more then one trade? I've seen some people advertise their a joiner,plasterer,tiler,P&D basiclly a bob the builder type. If I was having any Tiling work doing in my property I would seek the skills of a tiler not a jack of all trades what your opinion?????

:)

Prefer someone who is an expert in their own trade however I know some building companies employ a number of people with a range of skills - plumbers do plumbing, plasterers do plastering, tilers do tiling, brick-layers do brick work.

I'm happy to pay for people who know their stuff. Prefer not to use someone who claims to do everything themselves unless it is for something small.

its possible that some trades people will have more than one skill, i started out as a site joiner then went onto window fitting then onto kitchen and bedrooms, with the kitchens you pick up skills such as basic plumbing and also tiling etc, although i would never try my hand at brick laying or plastering.

I think the trick is to know your limits. I picked up some skills when i spent a few years working for a builder as his joiner so i can now build small walls, patios and block paving and such but that's about it. I'd never offer to build somebody a garage or extension.

As has already been said some companies employ other trades like myself, I am a heating and gas engineer but I employ someone for the SAW joinery side of the company. I also employ someone for tiling and electrical work as I'm not jack of all trades. Ill stick to my gas as its what I know best.

what are peoples thoughts about people who "claim" to have more then one trade? I've seen some people advertise their a joiner,plasterer,tiler,P&D basiclly a bob the builder type. If I was having any Tiling work doing in my property I would seek the skills of a tiler not a jack of all trades what your opinion?????

:)

I do a lot of bathroom refurbs which involves doing the plumbing (obviously!!) as well as plastering, joinery work, tiling etc. If there is anything i'm not comfortable doing i'll bring someone else in.

Then theres my roof & gutter work, more than capable as I get most of my work from here. If I wasn't any good, I wouldn't get the great feed back I do.

I wont do pointing work though, I may as well sit and flick the gobbo at the bricks with a spoon!!!! Tom who works with me is fantastic at it though so I let him do it all.

some great replies, I struggle to get my head around the fact people go to college for 2years to learn how to Plaster, become a joiner or a Plumber yet people who didnt and choose another trade will also do these jobs??? Not having a dig btw, surely if people stuck to their own trades their might be enough work for everyone in these trying times??????

:thumbsup:

some great replies, I struggle to get my head around the fact people go to college for 2years to learn how to Plaster, become a joiner or a Plumber yet people who didn't and choose another trade will also do these jobs??? Not having a dig btw, surely if people stuck to their own trades their might be enough work for everyone in these trying times??????

:thumbsup:

The thing is Alex, That in the building trade sometimes you are forced to go self employed.

I myself was was an apprentice bricklayer 7 years in those days. As the 60,s progressed the big firms decided that every one would be self employed or on the lump as it was then called, This lead to lads starting to take on there own jobs you know extensions etc,

Over the years you then got in other trades to do the plumbing, joinery , plastering etc and you yourself being a one man band helped them.

Over time unless you are daft you pick up these skills and become proficient at them ,in my own case and many of the lads from that era we could build a house from top to bottom without bringing in another trade.

These days trades such as electricians and gas fitting need certificates to be signed on every job so its no longer possible to do the lot .

The thing is Alex, That in the building trade sometimes you are forced to go self employed.

I myself was was an apprentice bricklayer 7 years in those days. As the 60,s progressed the big firms decided that every one would be self employed or on the lump as it was then called, This lead to lads starting to take on there own jobs you know extensions etc,

Over the years you then got in other trades to do the plumbing, joinery , plastering etc and you yourself being a one man band helped them.

Over time unless you are daft you pick up these skills and become proficient at them ,in my own case and many of the lads from that era we could build a house from top to bottom without bringing in another trade.

These days trades such as electricians and gas fitting need certificates to be signed on every job so its no longer possible to do the lot .

I see where your coming from Cuttsie I am confident at tiling\painting but I would never dream of charging somebody to theres if I'm not qualified in that area. :thumbsup: