Anyone been seen by atos and kept incapacity benefit/esa?

Changes to contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance

Published: Tuesday, 1 May 2012

The government has limited the period for which contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) can be paid in some circumstances. These changes came into effect on 1 May 2012. Claimants who have already received 365 days of contribution-based ESA saw their entitlement end on 30 April 2012. this is taken from the goverments own web sit direct gov co.uk go and have a look yourself

to go on to income based benefits ...

David Blunkett is blind, didn't seem to hold him back?

neither did Frank Williams' tetraplegia , or Prof Hawkins condition ... nor many many people with long term health problems and disabilities, there are very very few who are totally incapable of work, the problem is far too many people seem to think can't do chosen / previous job = life on the scrounge ...

neither did Frank Williams' tetraplegia , or Prof Hawkins condition ... nor many many people with long term health problems and disabilities, there are very very few who are totally incapable of work, the problem is far too many people seem to think can't do chosen / previous job = life on the scrounge ...

Atos are fraudsters merely aimed at giving some credibility to the dwp's already predetermined outcome to any "medicals"

Unless you're an academic type I imagine that if you're blind you can't really do regular work efficiently.

we are not all philosophers or professors some of us are not clever enough

we have to use our hands to make a living

the system is still flawed

stop making out that everyone is scrounging worked from 15 till 55 and never shied away from it

just for example

you are taken off this benefit ESA

you go the job centre

they turn you away because to sign on you have to declare that you are looking for full time work but because of your health you can only work ten hours

the job centre will not let you sign on because you are making a false statement

what are you supposed to live on?

plus I repeat this system is designed for you to fail that is why UNUM use it for insurance claims and as we all know insurance companies do not like paying out

also the reason why on appeal 70% of claims are overturned

Edited by juniee
more detail and typoos

and to zippy

regarding Steven Hawkins he has a full time carer and because of the nature of his profession he can pick and choose his hours

David Blunkett can afford chaffuers to get to work

we do not all have full time carers or the income to pay chaffuers

before you say work the ten hour job no employer in this climate would employ a disabled person when they have their pick of the labour market and a lot of firms would not be able to adapt thier premises for disabled people.

to close ,enjoy your wonderful world where everything is possible and think of the people who have committed sucide due to this test.

Its about time benefits were stopped this is y the ecenomy is in such a state.

majority of em are just bone idol.

Unless you're an academic type I imagine that if you're blind you can't really do regular work efficiently.

there might have been some merit in that assertion when assistive technologies were in their infancy ... how do you think blind people , many of whom live 'normal ' lives cope day to day ... ?

Its about time benefits were stopped this is y the ecenomy is in such a state.

majority of em are just bone idol.[/QUOTe]

I'm sure that those people currently struggling to cope with terminal cancer would be SO happy to be called lazy.

I sincerely hope that you aren't struck down with an overwhelmingly serious disability one day...

I haven't seen anyone actually saying they don't want or we don't need welfare reforms in this thread.

Some people seem to be deliberately misunderstanding the point Jonny and Junie are trying to make.

My understanding of their argument is that instead of an outside company being paid by performance, when the system they use has been deemed flawed in quite a few places. Why can't the system be reformed with the protection of the vulnerable people it's there to help as one of it's main priorities along with making a fairer system and preventing fraud.

If it were part of the civil service instead of private then the temptation to be target driven would be moot, hopefully leading to fairer, unbiased assessments.

For every person I know, or believe to be, undeserving of sickness benefit I know of twenty deserving cases and I can't believe the best way to remedy the undeserving few is to punish and risk further damage to the genuine people.

my word i've read some ill informed rubbish on this thread, while your reply has avoided some of the ' pity the cripples' sentiments so common among those who have challenged the assertion that those of use with long term conditions and/or other disabilities cannot work unless its in a special sheltered workshop ( i.e. remploy) .

what makes you think that the service would be any different with a different with a different name above the door ?

this thread has been full of people posting on the assumption that people with disabilities or long term conditions are incapable of working and it's the evil Tories trying to take their benefits off them...

this attitude is the complete reverse of the attitude that health and social care professionals and the vast majority of the sensible disability activist groups adopt that people should have the opportunity to work and that reasonable adaptations should not be a fight ...

I didnt mean the severley disabled or blind but you know that there are too many people claiming that are quite capable of doing a few hours every week.

Just cause they suffer with backache doesnt class them as unfit for work in my eyes:(