Would you complain? If so to who?

Yeah so my sister took her first born 6 month old son to the doctors today because he had a cold and the diorehha, anyway the doctor asked her why she came so she told him and he turned around and said you always come here and you shouldn't come to the doctors all the time. My sister then told him this was her first born and that she only came to the doctors surgery because her son had some problems. He then just shrugged her and said don't come back all the time these symptoms are normal and that was it. His attitude was disgusting and she got hurt by his comments.

Would you complain and if so who to?

Its a tough one. As a new mother no doubt your sister will worry but if its symptoms like that odds are its probably quite contagious. Doctors try and keep these things out of the surgery to prevent already quite poorly people from catching it. I think the Doctor had a bad attitude, but that was possibly the message he was trying to send across?

Hi

know what I would say but best thing is first request to talk to practice manager

Explain your side of the story

If you are unsure, then you must seek medical advice

Just imagine how you would feel if any thing happend

It may be nothing but better safe than sorry if you are not happy then ask for there complaints procedures and you can alway contact the national health direct

The doctor may have put it badly but he's got a point. People clogging up the surgery with trivial complaints like a cold and diarrhoea are putting a massive strain on the NHS and meaning genuinely ill people can't get an appointment. If the OP complains she will only serve to cause yet more unnecesary grief!

Frankly it would depend on how many times she's been with common ailments. She's understandably concerned about her baby but they do get colds and diarrhoea and if everybody ran to the doctor all the time it would be a strain on doctors and health service. Having said that doctor has duty of care and should tell your sister in a polite and reasonable manner and for that she has a right to see practice manager

Yeah so my sister took her first born 6 month old son to the doctors today because he had a cold and the diorehha, anyway the doctor asked her why she came so she told him and he turned around and said you always come here and you shouldn't come to the doctors all the time. My sister then told him this was her first born and that she only came to the doctors surgery because her son had some problems. He then just shrugged her and said don't come back all the time these symptoms are normal and that was it. His attitude was disgusting and she got hurt by his comments.

Diarrhea is NOT a trivial complaint, especially in a baby.!!

Hello- doctors should never make patients feel like they are wasting the doctor's time. Especially when it concerns a new baby! Firstly, ask to see another doctor next time! Secondly write a letter of complain to the surgery and to the medical board. You could even ask to speak to the Head Practitioner at the surgery explaining the doctors unacceptable behavior. Good Luck and hope your baby is now better.

I agree completely, you have to be very careful in these circumstances.

On the other hand it depends how many other times she has been to the doctors with her baby and what for.

Some mums get to the point that they take there baby after the first sneeze, though the doctor handled it badly maybe he was trying to avoid this situation.

Is she not still in contact with her H/V? Maybe she could speak to her about these concerns before a trip to the doctors.

Complain if she feels the doctor had a bad attitude otherwise leave it and see a different Doctor in future but don't let her be put off going if she feels something is not right with her baby.

Hi,

this story seems to ring a bell with a recent experience of my own, with out actually saying the name of the doctor can I ask if this doctor is located in a new building with council office/library and chemist included in the same building

Absolutely. When my daughter was 9 months old she was hospitalised for 10 days as they can dehydrate so quickly.

I think it was terrible that he dismissed her worries so rudely. Irrelevent of how many times that she has visited the surgery, he should be offering reassurance, not making her feel like she shouldn't go back. Even if he felt that she has been a little neurotic previously, surely a little bit of advise for a first time mum would not have hurt him. :rolleyes:

Even if he felt that she has been a little neurotic previously, surely a little bit of advise for a first time mum would not have hurt him. :rolleyes:

It clearly didn't, but it seems to have upset her.

The NHS is trying very hard to get it into people's heads that their GP is not the automatic first port of call for every health problem they ever have. It's an uphill battle.