The Abbey pub, Woodseats

Someone posting on Streetlife locally has confirmed that the landlord has left and it's back in the hands of the brewery

Someone posting on Streetlife locally has confirmed that the landlord has left and it's back in the hands of the brewery

Sad they seemed to put a lot of effort into making it work.

Talking to some of the regulars a few weeks ago Woodseats generally has been really dead of late.

To be fair every single pub on Woodseats is 20 years years behind the times and all of them cater to a demographic that is on the decline. It needs revitalising.

To be fair every single pub on Woodseats is 20 years years behind the times and all of them cater to a demographic that is on the decline. It needs revitalising.

Yeah I get what you mean although most of them do food now.

In the evening they have traditionally been and still mainly are drinking pubs and sadly(other than real ale pubs which there aren't really any in Woodseats) thats an area that is diminishing rapidly out of town.

Edited by Fudbeer

Is it now not owned by Enterprise Inns or Punch Taverns, or some other glorious manifestation of the free market economy?

Yeah I get what you mean although most of them do food now.

In the evening they have traditionally been and still mainly are drinking pubs and sadly(other than real ale pubs which there aren't really any in Woodseats) thats an area that is diminishing rapidly out of town.

Very true. I live in Woodseats but rarely drink there. I`ll tend to go down to Heeley or over to Dronny where pubs and beer are much better.

There was an electrical contractor working in the kitchens this afternoon, by the looks of the sign written van parked there.

It looked like some mucky work was underway with stuff being stripped out.

Pub is still closed up though as of this minute. I suppose it might take them a few days to fix everything up and restock the drinks as they were running out of things when I was last in a couple of weeks ago.

Is it now not owned by Enterprise Inns or Punch Taverns, or some other glorious manifestation of the free market economy?

It is owned by Punch Taverns and leased out.

There is now a board on the side of the pub advertising for a new tenant. It has remained closed.

Heard a reet promising rumour last night about a potential takeover of the pub but could be a while happening. Woodseats deserves a proper pub.

Heard a reet promising rumour last night about a potential takeover of the pub but could be a while happening. Woodseats deserves a proper pub.

I really hope so. In my humble opinion, I reckon this could be a thriving boozer. Turn onto Abbey lane and there are thousands of houses, homes to (and I'm guessing here) professional, house owning and relatively comfortably off people, it's also very dry, the next stop being the bar under the Beauchief hotel. A decent makeover, good beer and good food should pull in the punters.

Thornbridge would have done better acquiring this rather than the Cross Scythes on Derbyshire lane, which always feels like an empty school assembly hall, in the evening.

Edited by beefface

Thats right, they do hot roast pork sandwiches every Tuesday and Thursday with the quiz and on a Satruday Night. You can even order them to take away if you order in time. All the roast meat is from Battys Butchers and the breadcakes are from Spinks. I even had a dripping sandwich made for me to take home. If you order in time they will wrap them in foil to take home with you.

Hmm! and your body mass index is?