The Abbey pub, Woodseats

They have really made the most of the building with nice big windows overlooking the bowling green.

The outdoor area is the real strong point for me in an area desperately short of good beer gardens (unless you like sitting in an alley or car park!) they have done a really good job with tables and chairs away from the road overlooking the bowling green and some nice grass areas.I think this will be its best selling point obviousley mainly in summer!

Not the cheapest but they were never going to compete with the tree/spoons so probably right to go for a different market.

Sounds positive. Woodseats needs a decent pub. I heard that beer has improved a bit too.

Sounds positive. Woodseats needs a decent pub. I heard that beer has improved a bit too.

The beer has improved, tastes nice as well.

The Chantrey Arms down the road has another ale pump now.

The beer has improved, tastes nice as well.

The Chantrey Arms down the road has another ale pump now.

Yes used to like the Chantrey a traditional pub with nice friendly bar staff ... used to go there occasionally for the Saturday karaoke nights wonder if they still do them .... anyways I must consider a mini pub crawl around there sometime and maybe continuing into Chesterfield road and all that has to offer :love:;-)

I'd just like to comment about the Abbey as it has been open a while now. The place is much improved. The staff are professional and well turned out (a considerable improvement on the recent regimes).

.. and the refurbishment is generally wearing well. I would prefer it if there was a carpet in the tap room rather than a bare floor.

One of my friends commented that it smelled like the wooden floor had been cleaned with a filthy mop. My own objection to having pubs with no carpets and curtains is that they become too noisy and it makes it difficult to hear conversations.

The (real ale) beer selection is good for me as I like IPA and golden beer. One of my drinking pals thinks that it would be better if the choice offered more darker beers, however this is trivial.

Do you still have to stand outside to get a mobile signal in there?

It looks like they've not made it look commercial and have added to the original character of the place.. Same cant be said of the now souless and commercial looking "upgrade" given to the banner cross

I never have any trouble getting a mobile signal in there and at my house nearby and I have a standard iPhone on o2.

I never have any trouble getting a mobile signal in there and at my house nearby and I have a standard iPhone on o2.

Going back 6 or 7 years with pay as u go..might have got better since . Cheers

I'd just like to comment about the Abbey as it has been open a while now. The place is much improved. The staff are professional and well turned out (a considerable improvement on the recent regimes).

.. and the refurbishment is generally wearing well. I would prefer it if there was a carpet in the tap room rather than a bare floor.

One of my friends commented that it smelled like the wooden floor had been cleaned with a filthy mop. My own objection to having pubs with no carpets and curtains is that they become too noisy and it makes it difficult to hear conversations.

The (real ale) beer selection is good for me as I like IPA and golden beer. One of my drinking pals thinks that it would be better if the choice offered more darker beers, however this is trivial.

Agree about the wooden floors and "hard furnishings" generally.They may be easier to keep clean but they make places noisey and don't create a great environment The banner is a very good example of this.

Yeh.. it's like a Yates's these days awful.. with pop music blaring out.. or was other night..

Going back 6 or 7 years with pay as u go..might have got better since . Cheers

6 or 7 years ago? more like 1994 on cellnet. :hihi: Mobile phone coverage is pretty neat on Woodseats nowadays. And what has pay as you go got to do with it? :confused:

6 or 7 years ago? more like 1994 on cellnet. :hihi: Mobile phone coverage is pretty neat on Woodseats nowadays. And what has pay as you go got to do with it? :confused:

Yeh Vodafone 5 or 6 or so years ago Not that it matters but pay as you go connection was never as good ascontract signals. Anyhow Was ok in woodseats ..but not inside the abbey pub. Cheers ;)