The Abbey pub, Woodseats

Went in one Friday teatime a couple of months ago and it was deserted. So sad to see it as it is now. I was a regular there for 30 years starting in the 70s and it was always packed, full of people of all ages. It used to be the jewel in Tetleys crown.

Although it echoes the demise of a lot of locals in the city I'm sure a proper refurbishment could bring people back even in these difficult times.

It should be the most successful boozer on woodseats really especially in decent weather considering its the only one with a decent Beer garden

In recent weeks the beer has been running out.

I have heard a rumour about the new temporary Landlady from a regular at her previous pub at Ecclesfield that she is planning to put a DJ on at weekends at the Abbey. That is just about the last thing the pub requires and is why her last tenancy ended in tears.

The pub is still suffering from having a condemned kitchen. Without being able to make money from food nobody will be able to make the Abbey a viable pub. Anyhow you can look up the plans for the Punch Taverns refurb. on the Sheffield Planning Portal and they are planning a major overhaul with a refitted kitchen and new dining area as well as reorganised toilet block and much better upstairs function room.

This should put the pub on a great footing for the future and I'm looking forward to seeing it reopen in July.

A quick browse though the planning history shows that the Punch have been refused several attempts at altering this pub including creating a "Steak Bar".

what has been granted though is a Garage.

Here is the plans under current consideration;

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=O5BAPCNYFY000

Edited by muddycoffee

Cheers muddycoffee that's all very interesting.

Firstly I agree about a DJ, I would imagine it would alienate the few regulars they've still got and it won't lure the sort of people that might like that away from the Big Tree.

Basically the place is shabby and rundown and the sooner they set about the refurb the better.

I can vouch for the fact that the brewery tried on several occasions in the past to turn it into a steak bar even though it was a thriving pub. In the days when it had a Social Club I was on the committee and we fought tooth and nail to stop it happening.

Thankfully for us the main stumbling block was their proposal to turn the bowling green into a car park and there were issues at that time concerning vehicle access.

Its also having a bar upstairs and will be a meeting place

for Punch management, so looks like they will keep it a

managed house.

the sooner they set about the refurb the better

I walked past today and it looks like they've made a start.

I understand the recent temporary manager has moved on and a new temporary manager is in place, with plans for a complete refurbishment in May/June. It has certainly been closed since Tuesday. I went in Monday eve, prior to a visit to Kashmiri Aroma, it felt like entering 10 Rillington Place but with a large flat screen telly on, full volume, in the corner.

"10 Rillington Place" wow ! not just the going in but not coming out ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Certainly a hive of activity this week. Hope they do it justice and that the beer and food improve. Scuppers rumours I`d heard about a takeover tho.

The banners across the barriers explain that the pub will reopen in August after 8 weeks of alterations.

Also there is a young lad working in the new Costa Coffee nearby who claims he's going to be the new bar manager when it opens.

He says there is going to be a "big garden" an "outside bar" and bands on.

Let's hope not !

The banners across the barriers explain that the pub will reopen in August after 8 weeks of alterations.

Also there is a young lad working in the new Costa Coffee nearby who claims he's going to be the new bar manager when it opens.

He says there is going to be a "big garden" an "outside bar" and bands on.

Let's hope not !

Which bit of that don't you like?