Is YouTube Breaking The Law?

Does it breach copyright law and is it really any different from file hosting and sharing websites, I have been subscribing to various trance music channels and find that some tracks get deleted or even their channels disappear all together, should YouTube face an equal punishment like what Mega Upload had, I mean, music tracks could easily get stored and used for public use and have seen quite a few films split in parts that have managed to sneak through the net.

sssshhhh! I spend half my life on there watching stuff :P

sssshhhh! I spend half my life on there watching stuff :P

Every minute of every day, 60 hours of footage is added to youtube. :|

I wonder how big the servers are :o

What is bigger than a Terabyte, I am betting it far exceeds a few hundred of those.

Imagine de-fragmenting their hard drives, mind you, I am betting they have super high capacity super fast Solid State Drives in their servers.

Edited by Speed Demon

Youtube operates under the "notice and take down" system - if someone informs it of a copyright breach, it will remove the offending videos, and in return it is not held responsible for breaches, of which it has not yet been made aware.

I'm not sure what legal principle the authorities based that on, incidentally; newspapers cannot throw out a libel claim on the grounds that they didn't know what Fred Smith said was libellous when they printed it.

Be that as it may, though, the likes of MegaUpload have never been willing to take down links to copyright-breaching websites or files; that's why the authorities keep going after them.

What is bigger than a Terabyte, I am betting it far exceeds a few hundred of those.

Imagine de-fragmenting their hard drives, mind you, I am betting they have super high capacity super fast Solid State Drives in their servers.

A petabyte (PB) is equal to 1,024 terabytes.

Google probably have storage in the 100s of exobytes (1 billion GB per exobyte) - they don't make that info public though.

They run it from behind a chip shop on Pitsmoor. Everybody know's that.

Edited by Rampent

Google probably have storage in the 100s of exobytes (1 billion GB per exobyte) - they don't make that info public though.

This thread turned nerdy pretty quickly :hihi:

Yes. But cos it's American, probably gets away with it.

Await's the 9 pages of slack and abuse :hihi:

Wow ! :o

------------

This thread turned nerdy pretty quickly :hihi:

I think I might have started that :hihi:

I think I might have started that :hihi:

Do you want credit for it or is that an apology? :)