Laptop wireless connectivity problem.

Hi all, i'm having a bit of a problem with the lappy.

Basically if i use it upstairs it remains connected, but if i use it downstairs, where the router is located, it disconnects constantly.

I've run inSSIDer and i'm using channels 5 & 9, the same channels my neighbour is using (Virgin broadband btw) though i've not as yet tried changing the channels as i'm unsure if it will mess up wireless connectivity to our sons xbox's.

I'm at my wits end with it now. :rant:

Uninstall Wi-Fi network adapters driver and re-install it using Windows Update. It should be resolved afterwards.. had this problem in one of my customers laptop recently.

Thanks for that, though i've already tried it.

It's an intermittent fault, some days it will stay connected for several hours then drop out, i can then only get it connected again by running the trouble shooter which resets the wireless card.

I'm finding it very strange that there's no problem if the lappy is a fair distance from the router. :huh:

OP, not sure if you've tried this but have you moved the router elsewhere ? - maybe even a few feet away from the original position ?

I was having similar problems and ever since I've placed the router on the floor (as opposed to on the desk), I've had no drop-outs.

Not moved the router but have sat in different places around the room where the router is located, to no avail.

Have you tried another laptop or a device at all? Is it doing it just n one laptop or is this applies to everything that's connecting to that router?

We run 2 wireless 360's, one wireless pc and another lappy, all of them are fine, though we obviously get the odd drop out now and then.

It's a real strange one, i suspected the wireless card was faulty but it'll stay connected all day if not in close proximity to the router. :huh:

In this case, it must be the Wireless Network card on your laptop.. if all others working fine and it's not finding it difficult to connect when away from the router, I would suspect that something wrong with receiving signal.. Could you please give us the details of the laptop, make & model and also Hardware ID (from device manager) for that Wireless Card?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to do that tomorrow now as i've just shut it down.

Are you using the virgin super hub ? If so that's your problem ..there is an update for the firmware :-)

if its a superhub,then its like mine it keeps resetting itself every so often

Hi again.

It's not a superhub it's a Netgear VMDG 280, whilst the lappy is a Advent 5431.

When i run the troubleshooter it gives the error "problem with the wireless adaptor or access point", it then resets the adaptor and connects fine, for a short while.

As I said, it's faulty wireless adapter on your laptop. Could be software issue, get different version of drivers and try that way, if not, replace the adapter itself, fairly cheap nowadays..

Thanks for the reply.

What i can't understand if it is indeed a faulty adapter, why does it stay connected endlessly when used upstairs?, it's only when used downstairs there's a problem.

"[...]the same channels my neighbour is using[...]" - Change your wireless channel(s) to a different channel; around 11. The other devices may not pick up the wireless signal on this channel, if so, change to something nearby.

try an external wireless adapter, this may help