Babies sleeping on their tummy/front

I know its a No No with babies but at what point does it become ok for them.

Our little boy is 25wks old and for the last few weeks has mastered turning himself over to crawl. Problem is he does it in his cot in the night. I always put him to bed in his cot on his back. I have a sensor mat monitor for him. I do check in on him regularly before we go to bed but it doesnt matter how many times I turn him over onto his back he turns himself back. He Obviously finds it very comfortable.

Is there anything i can do to keep him on his back? Ive tried using blankets rolled up and placed down his sides but that doesnt work all he does is cry and get frustrated.

Any advice would be appreciated.

my son used to do this all the time from been around 20weeks old. i bought a "wedge" from mothercare, its same as two rolled up blankets but this looked like two teddies and it worked fantastic. if i can find it your welcome to have it to give it ago

ill have a look at them but that would be Brilliant thank you very much.

If he can turn himself over and manoever himself out of a dangerous position I would say its ok. I think its more for young babies who can't lift their faces from the mattress etc. IIRC the advice is to lay them on their backs, but not to worry if you find them on their tums, and just move him onto his back again. You will soon find him in many weird and wonderful positions - I once found my daughter asleep sat up with her head resting on her legs - literally folded in half :D

thanks Bubble for that. he certainly has no problems with his head et. was a bit concerned though as he slept on his front all night last night regardless of the amount of times he was turned. he actually seems in a better mood when hes slept like that, dont know if it makes any difference or if its me just thinking it but definitely in a brighter mood

Our little girl preferred to sleep on her front from about four months, when she learnt how to turn over. She's 9 months now, and still likes to go to sleep laid on her front.

Our little girl preferred to sleep on her front from about four months, when she learnt how to turn over. She's 9 months now, and still likes to go to sleep laid on her front.

My little girl did/does, and so do I...I think its the most common sleeping position :) As long as they can move to maintain a clear airway, I think its fairly safe. That is why I would never put a newborn on their tummy unless I was in the room at all times, but other than that, I would say its OK.

was a bit concerned though as he slept on his front all night last night regardless of the amount of times he was turned. he actually seems in a better mood when hes slept like that, dont know if it makes any difference or if its me just thinking it but definitely in a brighter mood

If you're worried, turn him on his back when you check, but if it makes for a happy baby, I'd say leave him be. The advice might've changed, so double check it with HV just in case I'm wrong :)

My daughter always slept on her side or on her tummy. No matter how many times I put her on her back, she always rolled! She stopped doing it as much when she went in a sleeping bag. Maybe give that a go?