Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

Equality Act

Marriage between people of the same gender is not legal in the UK but civil partnerships were introduced in 2005 to give couples the same legal protection as if they were wed.

The trimmings are pure vanity for a very small section of the gay community. 'By and large' the gay community accept the civil partnerships as a 'wedding' and have no desire to get married in a church. Those that have faith will recognise that they are being made a civil partnership under the eyes of God, Allah, Jeehoovers, flying spaghetti monster etc etc. Its a no brainer situation where gay marriages are concerned. It is merely the few making some noise in the vain hope that everyone will accept and be like one another, just people in love... no t gay or lesbian or heterosexual or bisexual, just people.. It aint gonna happen :nono: There will always be someone that cannot live and let live... Its funny how most people will embrace new technology but will not embrace their fellow human being...

Fin.

Absolutely a fair question. Over-sensitivity and misplaced political correctness is however another subject matter and one that is not limited to just matters of sexuality... there is a lot of it around religious beliefs too!

Well are all human and not perfect religious and non religious , so I would say the line is drawn when one group tries to impose its rules on the other, would you say that's fair Zamo?

So is it civil partnership if two ninety year olds get married, because they dont have the ability to produce a baby? What a stupid argument.

Not a stupid argument at all as there are always exceptions to the rule and even though the 90 year olds cannot have a baby they may still be able to go through the motions.

once you have morally degraded marriage and begun to accept all forms of marriage, there is no such thing as marriage anymore, and therefor there are no such thing as children being born out of wedlock. Legalizing gay marriage begins a moral and social decline that is impossible to stop.

Jesus is risen but he will judge this world in righteousness and he will be ashamed of many so called followers but he is not concerned with this world and it's so called equality . As a Christian we are not here to judge but to be separate from this world but if our our faith infringes on (non christian ) values are you going to discriminate against or even put us in prison as did the Romans in the time of Paul ?

No need to put you into prison. Far more effective to let you talk your way into the wilderness.

And how about the discrimination against pedophiles, prohibiting sexual relations with children? Why do we discriminate against 15-year-old girls and boys for what used to be called carnal knowledge? Why do we ban men from entering women's toilets or vice versa? I could go on but I'm sure you discern my drift. We discriminate because society believes it is the right and moral thing to do.

Marriage was considered, until recently, sacrosanct. Bigamy and polygamy are banned. Why should we discriminate against men who want more than one wife, or wives who want more than one husband?

With all its flaws, and few marriages are perfect, marriage is the bedrock on which our society is based. It won't be if these twits have their way.

The time has come for us " to fight back and tell the gay community that we've gone from prohibition to tolerance to acceptance, but we won't accept that gay marriage and conventional marriage is the same thing.

They might have got some of what they wanted if they had asked for a gay marriage act, quite separate from conventional marriage but can you expect them to accept a gay marriage certificate proclaiming them to be a gay couple?

It is to be hoped that those who support conventional marriage as one of the building blocks on which our society is built will stand up and tell the gay community it's not going to happen.

Stop being silly, of course I did.

So we are agreed: it is being discussed.

Or as I see it, getting one foot in the door.

Cyclone's comment, which prompted your reply with the BBC link, was "NOBODY has argued that gay people should be able to marry in a church".

Cyclone's comment was factually correct.

If a church doesn't want to do it, then they don't have to, just as they don't have to marry previously divorced people if they don't want to.

Of course there will be clerics who do want to perform gay weddings, but this is entirely an internal matter for the Churches themselves to sort out.

The only claims about "enforced" religious ceremonies for gay couples are coming from the religious themselves. This is blatantly scaremongering, or to put it another way "lying for Jesus".

once you have morally degraded marriage and begun to accept all forms of marriage, there is no such thing as marriage anymore, and therefor there are no such thing as children being born out of wedlock. Legalizing gay marriage begins a moral and social decline that is impossible to stop.

Very true, this does seem like the thin end of the wedge. If you permit gay marriage then what next? Will paedophiles be allowed to marry their victims?

Whatever the PC brigade think, I think that a sizeable proportion of people still find gay sex a pretty sordid and repulsive practice. They already have the option of civil partnerships, why do they need the right to get married?

Well are all human and not perfect religious and non religious , so I would say the line is drawn when one group tries to impose its rules on the other, would you say that's fair Zamo?

Societies/countries will never have complete consensus on any rules so there will always be a degree of 'imposing'. However, if your argument for a rule is strong enough it should secure, and retain, the majority support needed to become law. If there is not majority support then it is tough titty. :)

I still don't understand your point, can you clarify;

you object to gay people being able to marry at all?

you object to churches being given the choice of marrying gay people?

With pleasure.

To point one. Yes - but there's no need for them to 'marry' anyway as they now have Civil Partnerships;

To point two. Yes - if the Christian church is to adhere to Biblical teaching, in this case the OT, then it would be going against what the Bible says to 'marry' gay couples.

Regarding the latter point, you state that churches are being given the choice. This may be the case right now - or at least soon - but I'll bet in a few months' time they will be forced to 'marry' gay couples in their churches as not doing so will no doubt infringe their Human Rights.

And how about the discrimination against pedophiles, prohibiting sexual relations with children? Why do we discriminate against 15-year-old girls and boys for what used to be called carnal knowledge? Why do we ban men from entering women's toilets or vice versa? I could go on but I'm sure you discern my drift. We discriminate because society believes it is the right and moral thing to do.

Marriage was considered, until recently, sacrosanct. Bigamy and polygamy are banned. Why should we discriminate against men who want more than one wife, or wives who want more than one husband?

Thats a good question. Maybe we shouldn't.

With all its flaws, and few marriages are perfect, marriage is the bedrock on which our society is based. It won't be if these twits have their way.

The time has come for us " to fight back and tell the gay community that we've gone from prohibition to tolerance to acceptance, but we won't accept that gay marriage and conventional marriage is the same thing.

They might have got some of what they wanted if they had asked for a gay marriage act, quite separate from conventional marriage but can you expect them to accept a gay marriage certificate proclaiming them to be a gay couple?

It is to be hoped that those who support conventional marriage as one of the building blocks on which our society is built will stand up and tell the gay community it's not going to happen.

No. I am not gay but I would stand shoulder to shoulder with any gay people to fight back against bigotry and say that no, they are not immoral, they should not be compared to paedophiles - I mean, really?! you can't see the difference between two consenting adults and a adult having sex with a child? really? Thats quite scary.

Is heterosexual marriage so fragile as a 'building block'? Is your morality so open to tainting and warping that you really think that society will spin into decline if you allow gay people to get married in a church instead of civil partnered in the town hall, then I feel sorry for you. Do you think Lucifer is standing there rubbing his hands together going 'ooo I can't wait til Bob and Simons wedding day!'?

Gay people should no longer be ashamed, they have the right to a family life and to marriage and children and the privileges enjoyed by me.