Computer games and kids..

ETA: *waits for the most recent GordonBennett clone to pontificate about adult gamers*
PMSLOL

In other news, GAME are in terminal firesale mode :(

So I just went 5 mins ago, and bagged myself a PSP Go, boxed as new, for £49.99 :clap:

PMSLOL

In other news, GAME are in terminal firesale mode :(

So I just went 5 mins ago, and bagged myself a PSP Go, boxed as new, for £49.99 :clap:

Are they really selling games for a couple of quid?

A bit of on-topic now, to indulge the troll (hey, it's Friday :))

I think (IMHO) that a still-reasonable position lies somewhere between the extremes that are "ban-that-filth" and "play-whatever-because-I-don't-care-or-because-all-your-mates-do": don't confine a 10 year old to Moshi Monsters and Barbie Dressage 2012, but don't expose him/her to realistic scenarios and graphic violence (GTA, CoD, MoH), regardless of how grateful the child may be for parental help/interest.

There are plenty of 12/15/16 rated games which, like Beakerzoid, I find perfectly acceptable for my young daughter to play.

She enjoys Halo games and their universe, and the training level of BF1943 (no bots, no online). I will even let her play a custom offline version of BF2 on PC (vehicles-intensive on large maps, she's got quite capable at tank and helos :gag:). But only ever while I am supervising (PC and 360 are in my home office) and never online. There is violence, but not that realistic (in fact, complete fantasy in Halo), and without blood, swearing or other such 'nasties' - and which, in context, does not differ that much from a child's imagination acted out when "playing war" with their friends in the garden or local park.

All other times when unsupervised (but time-limited), it's Wii, DS or arcade cab only, and all games on these are not rated (e.g. Endless ocean, SM Galaxy, that kind of 'fluffy stuff'). I can honestly say that she enjoys videogames as much as playing outside with her friends, reading, colouring and doing "girly" or "arty" things, and as videogames go, she enjoys faffing around in Moshi Monsters as much as tackling Reach in co-op on legendary...balanced, in other words.

Edit at Mercenary - not that many, but yes. I picked ODST yesterday at £1.99 (boxed complete with instrs and Halo 3 multiplayer disc). It's the only one my daughter and I haven't yet played.

Edited by L00b

A bit of on-topic now, to indulge the troll (hey, it's Friday :))

I think (IMHO) that a still-reasonable position lies somewhere between the extremes that are "ban-that-filth" and "play-whatever-because-I-don't-care-or-because-all-your-mates-do": don't confine a 10 year old to Moshi Monsters and Barbie Dressage 2012, but don't expose him/her to realistic scenarios and graphic violence (GTA, CoD, MoH), regardless of how grateful the child may be for parental help/interest.

There are plenty of 12/15/16 rated games which, like Beakerzoid, I find perfectly acceptable for my young daughter to play.

She enjoys Halo games and their universe (immensely, and quite capable at legendary level already :gag:) and the training level of BF1943 (no bots, no online). I will even let her play a custom offline version of BF2 on PC (vehicles-intensive on large maps, she's got quite capable at tank and helos :gag:). But only ever while I am supervising (PC and 360 are in my home office). There is violence, but not that realistic (in fact, complete fantasy in Halo), and without blood, swearing or other such 'nasties' - and which, in context, does not differ that much from a child's imagination acted out when "playing war" with their friends in the garden or local park.

All other times when unsupervised (by time-limited), it's Wii, DS or arcade cab only, and all games on these are not rated (e.g. Endless ocean, SM Galaxy, that kind of 'fluffy stuff').

Edit at Mercenary - not that many, but yes. I picked ODST yesterday at £1.99 (boxed complete with instrs and Halo 3 multiplayer disc). It's the only one my daughter and I haven't yet played.

This all sounds fair enough. I think there is a big generational shift that we're in the middle of with younger parents who have grown up with games and know what they are all about and those who still think of them as just Mario, Tetris and Pac Man.

Games are rated just like films... http://www.pegi.info/en/index/ .... usually for a reason.. :)

I gather but this one he lent off a mate and the mate said he could keep it. It has no cover on the case and I didn't know he had it but my husband did, x

Bad parenting if you're not aware that you 10 year old is playing adult, 18 rated games.

My husband knew, and how does that = bad parenting . Kids can get there hands on anything. For all we know you could have kids that have or one day will try smoking or have something they shouldn't. Does not mean I am a bad parent, my 13 yr old works so hard at school his teacher said he will be able to get A's in his GCSE'S.

And my ten year old was on senco extra help at school for his learning difficulties and now does not need it. Due to me working with him at home a lot to improve things. So I will ignore your sad comment, they often say people's own hang up's and faults reflect in what they say to others.

Since i got my son the xbox live I hardly see him, I think I may have to set certain times when he goes on from now on.

It might be but as most kids have consoles and internet access in their bedrooms, how can a parent constantly monitor what they're up to?

My husband knew but he didn't tell me, as they both knew what my reaction would of been about it.

So it was a case of my son and husband hiding things from me. :|

Since i got my son the xbox live I hardly see him, I think I may have to set certain times when he goes on from now on.

I said the same thing yesterday, my son, has ps2, xbox ,wii and laptop and he is always on one of them.

I said I am going to start restricting the kids to an houur in afternoon/evening.

Password protect the account and ensure family settings are applied. All consoles now allow you to limit what age rated content can be played.

It's simply down to a parent not being interested in what their child does.

This is a great idea and I have just gone through his games and removed just that 1 game . I spoke with my son about it now as I picked him up early today for his appointment. And I told him I did not feel the game was appropriate, and that I am going to take the game away. Although I have said I will take him out and replace it with a new one which is much more for his age.

Thanks for the advice all, and I am glad my son can see why I don't like it. I don't even allow them to have toy guns, so my husband should of known I would not of been happy about this game.

Everybody is happy now anyway, What happened to the great days of mario, alex the kid and paper boy !!

10 year olds should not be playing COD, they are FAR too young for it IMO... The fact it's "cool" cos all their pals are playing it is irrelevant, they are too young at 10, FACT!

I gather but this one he lent off a mate and the mate said he could keep it. It has no cover on the case and I didn't know he had it but my husband did, x
The BBFC rating is usually stickered/printed on the actual disc as well. Unless the disc is a knock-off, of course.

By the sounds of it all, your husband needs the telling-off, not your son.