Computer games and kids..

you can't protect your kids from all the stuff in the world - but you can teach them what is right and wrong and the reasons behind why they should or shouldn't do things - ultimately we need to teach our kids how to decide for themselves, and want to choose the right things - if we only decide for our kids the first time they are alone without their parents they will most likely do whatever their parents didn't want them to do, just because they want to try it, but if they understand the reasons for things they are more likely to make good decisions on their own

I wonder how many on here commenting on bad parenting were allowed to watch the unclassified video nasties of the early 80s?

I wonder how many on here commenting on bad parenting were allowed to watch the unclassified video nasties of the early 80s?

I was but only with my mum.

Violent computer games are just one safe outlet for the negative energy that boils up inside us all (although I personally prefer heavy metal). It's also a place where children can explore their curiosity in what has become a very open, interactive and dynamic environment.

Think of it this way - the more realistic they are, and therefore the more curiosity can be fulfilled within the game environment, the less curiosity will be directed towards the same actions in the real world.

Some of you will remember the first Grand Theft Auto. The graphics were crude and cartoonish, but the concept of earning money through a life of crime was undeniably exhilarating. There was surely more risk of children playing that and trying to emulate it in the real world because their curiosity was not fully satisfied by the limited environment and interaction of primitive game coding.

Edited by epiphany

It concerns me that the games are about death and destruction. I had this dialemma with my boy. All his mates were playing MW and COD and I let him. He's thirteen. The Xbox is in the living room so I can monitor when and what he is playing and who is online.

He has also been banned from 'violent' games for up to a month at a time after concerns about his behaviour at school. I am keen however to divert him towards more constructive activities. For some reason my suggestion earlier this evening of ballroom dancing classes was met with scorn and derision.

For some reason my suggestion earlier this evening of ballroom dancing classes was met with scorn and derision.

You could point out the usually very favourable male:female ratio at those classes...

You could point out the usually very favourable male:female ratio at those classes...

That is what I am working on. I may need to wait a while before the hormones kick in. That is the sort of advice I would like to have been given at his age. I didn't get to meet many females when I went boxing at his age.

I personally think it is wrong

i totally agree with you charlie!

the argument is.....that it is just art, imitating life

but i strongly feel that life imitates this art also

....and what we are filling the heads of youngsters with today

is truly horrifying :shakes:

10 year olds should not be playing COD, they are FAR too young for it IMO... The fact it's "cool" cos all their pals are playing it is irrelevant, they are too young at 10, FACT!

The fact is irrelevant, fact? What?!

Both me and my brother grew-up playing violent computers games(and still do). We also watched loads of gory horror films. We are both now in our 40s and neither of us turned out violent.