Eckington during the 50,s & 60,s

I know Stan he was good friends with my dad in the pit..

Hi, did you know my mum, Eileen (Barfield, after she got married).

She used to go to Eckington a lot.

Sorry, you wouldn't know her, but your dad/parents might.

Thanks for the reply.

---------- Post added 22-12-2012 at 18:48 ----------

I know Stan he was good friends with my dad in the pit..

Did your dad know Pat and Frank (Stans brothers) as well. Stan worked at Brookhouse with them years ago.

Edited by sammy2
spelling

Hi to all on the Forum,

just like to wish you all a Very Merry & safe Christmas, stay tuned for more Eckington stories of the 50's and 60's after Christmas.

Derek Clayton Canberra Australia.

Hi Derek, this is Jenny, Jim Buckleys wife,

Jim has often spoken about you over the years,and also told me the adventures you got up to as children, he was very pleased to get the email from Lawrence Harris, telling him you were a member of the Sheffield Forums,and that you had asked about him, and it was ironic that we had the connection with Lawrence. Jim has often wondered where you lived and how your life has mapped out over the years., so this is a great way of getting in touch, hope to hear back from you soon.... Kind regards Jenny

Hi Jenny,

thanks so much for your message, HNY to you and Jim. Glad to hear Jim still remembers me after all those years. I married my wife Sonia back in 1966 ( Wow ) and left England in 1972 to go to South Africa. We then moved on to Australia in 1973, 40 years ago almost. We have 2 sons and one daughter and 9 grand children, 8 boys and one girl. I remember the good times we had with Jim and his sister Margaret down Pipworth all those years ago, sometimes it just seems like yesterday. How many children do you have? also how is Jims sister Margaret, (I must admit I had a bit of a childhood crush on Margaret ), they were both very good friends of my brother and I.

As a matter of fact I was in Eckington in June of this year and walked through your farm yard, I remember seeing one of Jims trucks there. I regret not calling in on you and saying hello. Next time we are over there I definitely will call in on you.

Anyhow its nice that we can keep in contact with each other on the Forum.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes Derek.

Hi Derek

Than you for your reply, Jim and I got married in 1970, and have 4 children, twins Gary and Nicola who will be 42 this year, Tracy who will be 39 this year, and James who will be 28 this year. We have 7 grandchildren, 4 boys and 3 girls, the youngest being 4 up to the eldest at 18.

It's a shame that you were back in Eckington, in June and walked thro our yard, Jim would have enjoyed having a catch up with you, but remember next time you come over that the kettles always on the boil, it would be nice to meet the person I've heard so much about.

Jim has spoken to Margaret and told her about the Forum, so you never know, she may also leave you a message.

Like we said its a great way to keep in touch.. Thanks again for you reply.

Kin regards to you and your family

Jenny

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 22:08 ----------

PS... I forgot to say Derek, would you please remember Jim to your brother Terence,.. Hope he is well

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

thanks so much for your message, HNY to you and Jim. Glad to hear Jim still remembers me after all those years. I married my wife Sonia back in 1966 ( Wow ) and left England in 1972 to go to South Africa. We then moved on to Australia in 1973, 40 years ago almost. We have 2 sons and one daughter and 9 grand children, 8 boys and one girl. I remember the good times we had with Jim and his sister Margaret down Pipworth all those years ago, sometimes it just seems like yesterday. How many children do you have? also how is Jims sister Margaret, (I must admit I had a bit of a childhood crush on Margaret ), they were both very good friends of my brother and I.

As a matter of fact I was in Eckington in June of this year and walked through your farm yard, I remember seeing one of Jims trucks there. I regret not calling in on you and saying hello. Next time we are over there I definitely will call in on you.

Anyhow its nice that we can keep in contact with each other on the Forum.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes Derek.

Hi Derek,

Jim telephoned last evening to ask me to join the forum and contact you. I now live up at Marsh Lane with husband Bill. We have two children, Michael who is 46, his wife is Fiona and they have two children, Emma 20 and Chris 18 Our daughter is Angela 43, her husband Chris and two children Kate 16 and Edward 8. I well remember Terence jumping over Pluggy Wilson's wall at the Coach and Horses and breaking his arm!! Often wondered what became of you two "Clayton Twins" as you were always known. It would be good to meet up next time you are up here. The fireworks that Doug Hancock provided and the swing up at Mrs Booth's were tame by todays' standards but kept us entertained.

Best wishes, Margaret.

Hi Margaret,

it was lovely to read your message etc. and the news of your children & grandchildren. It's just amazing after all these years that we have been able to contact each other. The memories of Pipworth Lane and you and Jim are very strong, they were indeed great times and I will never forget them. Yes the fireworks supplied by Doug Hancock were amazing, I remember he would come out of his house after we had started the bonfire with his attache case full of fireworks, we always looked forward to this. Terence breaking his arm jumping the wall, I remember being so scared when this happened, being his twin made his pain mine, it frightened the life out of me.

Then of course there was Frank Alcock with his scrap yard full of stuff to look at with amazment. You may remember Frank only got bathed once a year, he always had the same clothes on and was always dirty, but what a character he was. When I was there in June of this year I had a stroll down the lane as far as the bridge over the Rother and the first railway bridge, we had some great times down there didn't we? The lane looks much narrower now and very overgrown, but the row of houses we lived in are much the same. My twin Terence is also in Australia, he came here in 1974, married in 1981 and has one daughter Kate who is 30 years old, no grandchildren yet. We are planning to visit England again in 2014 ( I will be 70 then ) and will definitely call in to say hello to you and Jim, it will be fantastic to see you both after all these long years, it must be over 50 years since I last saw you, just amazing. Please lets keep in touch.

Happy Memories and Best Wishes.

Derek.

My family the Clayton's lived in Pipworth Lane from 1955 - 1974, we lived in No.5 which was the middle house of 5 Victorian houses. In No.1 lived Margaret Dowling and her husband Luke, she was the daughter of the landlord Raich Nelson, in No. 3 lived the Jennings who were my uncle and aunt, we lived in No.5, my other aunt and uncle ( the Wallers ) lived in No7 and in No.9 lived Doug Hancock and his wife called Kath. All of these houses are now occupied by other people now, but the houses and wash houses are still pretty much the same. Whilst on holiday in the UK in 2010, I checked them out, the lane itself looks very overgrown with vegetation now and the scrapyard that Frank Alcock had is now gone, probably due to Frank himself being long gone I suppose. The place has a lot of very happy memories for me, I will never forget the good times we had there.

Delboy.

Hi Derek, What a small world we live in. I am currently living at No 5. It's probably a little different decor wise now to when you were here, but essentially the same old middle victorian house. It would be brilliant to see any old photos you may have of the house or surrounding area to make comparisons with.

Hi Derek, What a small world we live in. I am currently living at No 5. It's probably a little different decor wise now to when you were here, but essentially the same old middle victorian house. It would be brilliant to see any old photos you may have of the house or surrounding area to make comparisons with.

Hi Andy do the Nelsons still live near you?

Yes the Nelsons are still at No1. They've just built a new bungalow on the spare land at the side of their house for Mrs Nelson to move into. I bought my house from Pat Nelson who was the widow of Billy Nelson who used to race bikes with Charley Freeman.

Hi Andy,

yes, I do have some old photos somewhere. I will look them out and take copies and send you them. Give me a week or so, I will put this on my 'to do list'.

Cheers Derek.