Eckington during the 50,s & 60,s

I found the Air Raid Shelter at last! Thanks for your help. My next question is im told there is a Mine Shaft adit nearby. Does anyone have any directions to get to this from where the Air Raid Shelter is?

Mature 5011, these are,indeed,the very same people .

Derek,I remember David Rodgers,but am as cluless as you where he is now.

Sierra Man,the derelict building you refer to, used to be a water mill.

Tic Tac , Bill bradford long dead,Trixie,Ming and blind Emma were King Charles spaniels,Are you S H?

Thanks for confirmation knew John frogratt very briefly and worked with Denis later for a short while

Hi there,

I would like to get in touch and find out more about the Moyles from Eckington. I went to the house once when very small with my parents.

My grandfather was the twin brother of Jimmy - am interested to know who your wife was and any information/ photos you may have . My grandfather is dead but my dad who would maybe have been your wife's cousin is still alive - he is 66. I am 40 but very interested in family history especially as there was a very close bond between the two twin brothers but it's sad that the families sort of lost touch.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Iris Smith(Moyle)

I have researched MOYLE and TREWEEK in Eckington. Both families came up from Cornwall in 1872 and Mary Ann MOYLE married John TREWEEK at Chesterfield register office in 1876.

Which of the MOYLES are you descended from.

You can contact me at my email as you do not have enough posts to PM me.

[email protected]

I found the Air Raid Shelter at last! Thanks for your help. My next question is im told there is a Mine Shaft adit nearby. Does anyone have any directions to get to this from where the Air Raid Shelter is?

hi sierraman, have been in mine shaft many times as a young lad shooting rats etc but dont know if it still exists ,if you walk out of air r s into the field turn left and follow the hedge row down you cant miss it , it used to have a locked iron grill over it ,god knows how we used to get in but we did , i think it was an air intake for the mine nearby .

kind regards

umphry

Hi, my uncle Stan Jones lives in Eckington and has for donkies years, not sure which street tho.

He worked at Brookhouse colliery for years until it shut.

He's married to margret and has several kids.

Be nice to find anyone who knows the rest of the Jones family.

My mother is Eileen May Jones she married Denys Barfield from Woodhouse in about 1947.

Thanks.

Hi, I was born in Beighton, I used to go to Eckington drill hall in the 60s I joined the Sherwood Foresters cadets. I used to walk it past Halfway, then down Eckington Hill. We used to go to Belper shooting 303s there too. They were good days; we used to crawl on our bellies in camouflage clothing and mud faces.in the field opposite the Barracks. They are very happy memories. Can anyone remember more of the cadets?

Hello Derek Clayton & Sierraman,

I was born at 6 Church Street in Eckington in 1941, and spent a lot of time wandering down Pipworth Lane and "the fields" around the Rother. I dont recall having much to do with anyone down Pipworth lane as I used to spend my time in that little enclave by the parish church. We then moved up to 21 Ducksett Lane and I enjoyed a "real" bath for the first time instead of the tin one by the fire. Two houses up at Nr 25 lived the Moyles. William was my pal and Josie was his sister. I am not sure, but the name Mary Moyle rings a bell too. Mrs Moyle was a kindly woman and would call out W-i-l-l-i-a-m at the top of her voice when she wanted him to go in! The old buildings down on Mill Lane, I used to rent (indirectly) from Jim Buckley at the Church farm. It was my secret little hideaway for over 40 years and I used to keep many things there. They were originally pig sheds run by another man. Two years ago scrap metal thieves broke in and stole virtually everything I had, wrecking the place to get in. Since then Jim Buckley said he was closing the place and going flatten it. That is why it looks so dreadful at the moment. I was very sad to lose this delightful, secluded property. The old stone building still standing was the stables and is all that remains of the former mill on the river bridge. I now live in Hamburg, but go home regularly to visit my mum. The reason I came coincidentally onto this forum is that I was looking for some old photos for a poem I have written about picnicking at the Ford, hopefully to be published in the Eckington Reminiscence group's magazine! atb, Lawrence Harris

Hi Lawrence,

you mention Jim Buckley in your message, he was a a childhood friend of mine, he lived in the row of houses at the top of Pipworth Lane. We used to spend a lot of time together as kids, also his older sister used to tag along with us also, I think her name was Margaret. If you see him, mention my name to him, I,m sure he will remember the good times down Pipworth, playing near the river Moss / Rother and the train lines across the fields. We once found some old ammunition in the old Coach & Horses buildings when they were derelict, we lit a fire and started to throw the ammo in the fire. Fortunately for us they didn't explode, we were just young kids and didn't know any better. When we told our parents later on they went berserk as you can imagine. We had some great times that I will never forget, wonderful memories of Pipworth Lane & Eckington.

Cheers

Derek Clayton.

Hello Derek,

I have passed your forum message on to Jim via his email and also the thread link address so I am sure you'll be hearing from him soon! I also expect to be popping in to see Jim and his family at Christmas as they are saving some things for me. It is a great thread you started Derek, brought back lots of memories for me too!

Best regards

Lawrence

Hello Derek Clayton & Sierraman,

I was born at 6 Church Street in Eckington in 1941, and spent a lot of time wandering down Pipworth Lane and "the fields" around the Rother. I dont recall having much to do with anyone down Pipworth lane as I used to spend my time in that little enclave by the parish church. We then moved up to 21 Ducksett Lane and I enjoyed a "real" bath for the first time instead of the tin one by the fire. Two houses up at Nr 25 lived the Moyles. William was my pal and Josie was his sister. I am not sure, but the name Mary Moyle rings a bell too. Mrs Moyle was a kindly woman and would call out W-i-l-l-i-a-m at the top of her voice when she wanted him to go in! The old buildings down on Mill Lane, I used to rent (indirectly) from Jim Buckley at the Church farm. It was my secret little hideaway for over 40 years and I used to keep many things there. They were originally pig sheds run by another man. Two years ago scrap metal thieves broke in and stole virtually everything I had, wrecking the place to get in. Since then Jim Buckley said he was closing the place and going flatten it. That is why it looks so dreadful at the moment. I was very sad to lose this delightful, secluded property. The old stone building still standing was the stables and is all that remains of the former mill on the river bridge. I now live in Hamburg, but go home regularly to visit my mum. The reason I came coincidentally onto this forum is that I was looking for some old photos for a poem I have written about picnicking at the Ford, hopefully to be published in the Eckington Reminiscence group's magazine! atb, Lawrence Harris

Yes lawrence my mother in law was a lovely lady, Mary was Josie's younger sister

I think you are two ladies, so I would like to ask you if you remember any of the chants you girls used to sing while you were skipping. I can only remember "a good skip, a what you like, a dolly or a pepper", but I know there were many more, and with two ropes too.

I want to teach the songs to some little German kids of my friends here in Hamburg. I don't think they have even seen a skipping rope.

Looking forward to a reply

Lawrence

---------- Post added 18-12-2012 at 13:01 ----------

Sorry, my post should begin:

Hello Tuppie and Annina!

One of my classmates at Lydgate Lane School, Crosspool, 1952-4 was Roger Kenyon who, I believe, lived in Eckington. If I'm right, someone may remember him.