Revered artists you don't like

The Pixies. I know they're labelled as seminal/inspiring/whatever, but I deliberately recorded and watched a couple of gigs to try to understand why my OH likes them and my honest opinion is that they're whiny, unpleasant and discordant. Bearing in mind that I like lots of modern classical and can happily hum along to several pieces of Bartok and the like, my ability to find internal, pleasing/challenging harmonies in pieces is pretty well honed, but I just couldn't get on with the Pixies.

Try the live acoustic version of 'Where is my mind' from the Newport Festival. It might just change your mind...

Manic Street Preachers. Everyone seems to love them but I can't turn their music off fast enough. It's actually painful to listen to.

Also agree with what others have said about Coldplay, Radiohead (post-OK Computer) and Snow Patrol.

Fully agree awful band, they always aound to me like they write some pompous lyrics and then forcefeed a tune round them, terrible, and that Nicky Wire is a prat.

Beyonce.

Shouting, yelling, unclothed, same old, same old assault on the ears.

The Who, for me. I just don't seem to find them interesting. The odd song is OK (Won't Get Fooled Again), but on the whole I find it all a bit dull.

Bah! My big three are already taken - Bob Dylan, Van Morrison and Paul Weller. This means I have to keep my mouth shut a lot at a lot of folk sessions I go to - not one of my most honed skills.

Interestingly, though, unlike Jen I tend to really enjoy Dylan songs I didn't previously know when I hear them sung by others ... Something about his melody lines works for me... and, of course, those Byrds cover versions are all gems.

Anyway - My addition to the mix... Nirvana.

Have walked the path of classic rock and the NWOBHM as a youth and been heavily appreciative of the Pixies and others of their ilk in early adulthood I am fully qualified to conclude that Nirvana were utter tripe.

Jimi Hendrix.

Yes we know you can play guitar with your teeth and that many guitarists think you the best guitarist ever. That's all fine and dandy.

But two things let you down:

1, your songs are awful;

2, you are not and never will be a singer.

Van Morrison. Sounds like a tramp who's forced his way into the back room at Fagan's, drunk too much whisky and Guinness and decided to sing along to the guitarists.

Wash your mouth out.:nono:

While we're on the subject...

Johnny Cash,

James Brown,

Coldplay

Doors.

Iron Maiden.

Glad to see I'm not alone: Cash, Bowie, Elvis do nothing for me.

Madonna

Led Zeplin

Meat loaf

Boy George

Lady Gaga.

I like most that have been mentioned, so i must be easily pleased.

There are some bands that I didn't really like until I saw them live, Elbow, Kaiser Chiefs and the Libertines being a few that spring to mind. It's only when I saw them live that I seem to "get" them.

I saw Coldplay live before Christmas, and I was really apprehensive as I struggle to listen to them but they a really good live band, their pretentious slow piano ballads were still teeth pullingly painful to listen to though.

Coldplay

Bruce Springsteen

Bon Jovi

Elvis

Yes

Meatloaf

Edited by the_rudeboy