Revered artists you don't like

JenC

(Apologies if this has already been done, but the only thread that came up was one about overrated bands, and given that I'm not questioning some artists'/bands' technical abilities, I wanted to avoid the 'overrated' term.)

I don't like Bob Dylan's music. He's celebrated and revered as a great singer-songwriter by many, Bowie even wrote a song about him, but I'm afraid I just can't see the appeal. I dislike his voice (and I'm not one to think a singer must be pitch perfect to have a pleasing voice) and his music in general does nothing for me. I guess it's simply a case of me not finding him appealing - nothing more, nothing less.

My other choice is Sheffield's much-loved Richard Hawley. I've tried, really I have, but his albums bore me half to death. The music is fine, he plays well, the songs are well produced and his voice is technically very good. I know people find his music nice to relax and chill out to, but for me his music invokes no emotions at all, just sheer boredom and indifference.

I don't think either of these people are bad at what they do, I just don't like them whilst many seem to. So which much-admired artists or bands would you choose? (I'm fully expecting the Beatles to feature prominently...)

Guest sibon

Sorry Jen, it is definitely The Beatles for me. I just don't get them at all. I don't like the harmonies or the lyrics all that much (despite spending too much time listening to that great Beatles tribute act, Elvis Costello).

U2 are also on the list. They really grate on me.

Guest sibon
radiohead

muse

coldplay

snowpatrol

u2

all miserable and bland and middle of the road boring to me tbh

Actually... all of those too. Especially Snow Patrol.

The Smiths

Arctic Monkeys

Pete Doherty (does he still count?)

Whiny, self-indulgent noise.

There are a few of the aforementioned I could add to the list, but while I don't embrace all of their output I can find something in there to like (I can't listen to post-'97ish Radiohead, for example, but Pablo Honey is a very fine album indeed).

radiohead

muse

coldplay

snowpatrol

u2

all miserable and bland and middle of the road boring to me tbh

I agree with the last three (why didn't I think of U2?), although I'm not sure Snow Patrol are held in particularly high esteem ;)

It's okay sibon, I was expecting it, although perhaps not by the first post :hihi:

(And I love Muse!)

Bar about 3 records, the doors. Say the same about the Beatles. Can't stand nick cave either.

This doesn't make me a bad person, different strokes for different folks. But on the plus side, 6 posts in and there's no "my bands better than your band."

Well done everyone !!!

Van Morrison. Sounds like a tramp who's forced his way into the back room at Fagan's, drunk too much whisky and Guinness and decided to sing along to the guitarists.

Others are Joni Mitchell (horrid), the Killers (whose music could turn me into one) and The Doors. Indeed, I think The Doors were taking the p and nobody got the joke.

And every time I hear Billy Brag(g) I want to get a spade and whack him over the head with it (although he does actually come across as an intelligent, even likeable bloke).

Edited by Ousetunes

Dylan

Bowie

Elvis C

It must be a 'vocal' thing. Nasal singers are good at 'folk'.

I don't like the Smiths, Coldplay or AMs either. U2 were amazing when they first came on the scene. October was a brilliant album. After that, nothing much happened.

I dont "get" Coldplay at all, admitedly they are a good live band but a good live band who play mediocre overrated songs.

Elvis Costello - A complete enigma, made a few half decent songs early in his career and is revered as a great songwriter for doing nothing ever since.

U2 - Ok in the early days terrible after The Joshua Tree (with the possible exception of Achtung Baby), showed they couldnt perform outside thier comfort zone with the dreadful Glasto appearance last year and Bono is a total prat.

Im sure theres more but cant think of them at present.