Parents risking their children's lives whilst travelling

For the last 3 days I have noticed at least four people carrying children in their car which are totally unrestrained. Not even a seat belt. In fact, the last person I saw had 3 children actually in the boot! Of course, on closer inspection, the driver and front passenger are always safe and snug in their seatbelts.

I find this disgusting. I've said to my partner on no end of occasions just exactly where will that child end up if they, Heaven forbid, had an accident? I hope they can lipread and were left in no doubt at all as to what I think of them.

I think these people should be named and shamed!

:rant:

Thats terrible i would never let my kids go in the car without being fastened in, my son used to un clip his car seat when about 2 so i always pulled over to put it back in. Possibly have the same problem with my youngest when he gets to that age.

Some parents don't seem to think about what could happen, especially if in a rush!

If you are going to name and shame, then you will have to name 91% of drivers from the 1980s and before. It is only reletavely recently that cars have even had rear set belts and all these rules about having child seats and what size you need to be to sit in the front.

When I was a lad we used to go to skeggy in the back of a flatback van.

While your location says "great outdoors on the doorstep" I wonder if you actually dare to run across it and enjoy the much and risks of real life.

If you are going to name and shame, then you will have to name 91% of drivers from the 1980s and before. It is only reletavely recently that cars have even had rear set belts and all these rules about having child seats and what size you need to be to sit in the front.

While your location says "great outdoors on the doorstep" I wonder if you actually dare to run across it and enjoy the much and risks of real life.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent a fair few journeys in the footwell myself growing up in the 80's! But I was a kid, did as I was told. These days, people are far more aware of the risks and I would assume that the recent laws and regs have directly contributed to the decrease in fatalities through rta's etc. It's as simple as, you put a kid in the footwell and have an accident, their gonna get squished, end of.

It's actually very similar to another piece of utterly selfish behaviour by parents - pushing the pram out onto the road whilst you look for traffic. The number of times I have seen this is unreal! Crazy people!

Before seatbelts, as many as 2500 people per year were enjoying the "freedom" (of death) of not wearing a seatbelt.

Some 70% of rear passenger deaths involve non seatbelt wearers.

The daft freedom you advocate involves huge costs to society and immeasurable human and family pain and costs. No thanks.

Before seatbelts, as many as 2500 people per year were enjoying the "freedom" (of death) of not wearing a seatbelt.

Some 70% of rear passenger deaths involve non seatbelt wearers.

The daft freedom you advocate involves huge costs to society and immeasurable human and family pain and costs. No thanks.

Before seatblets cars didnt have crumples zones, ABS, Airbags and other saftey gizmos.

Before seatblets cars didnt have crumples zones, ABS, Airbags and other saftey gizmos.

Not sure where you are coming from with this comment ...

1966 saw 8000 deaths

1994-2004 saw 3500 deaths each year (thanks broadly to road-building, motorways, ambulance drivers > paramedics, DD law AND seatbelt law)

Since then, we have seen deaths tumble every year to 1850 in 2010. (Thanks to cars having more and more active and passive safety systems, Govt, Council and Camera Partnership interventions ...)

Crumple zones protect the strengthened cage we sit in. They don't stop an unrestrained body travelling wherever at pace only to come to a crunching stop.

Airbags deploying without seatbelts can kill.

ABS, if you crash, hasn't worked for you. Maybe you don't know what ABS does and you have never been trained to use it in anger.

Other safety gismos? ESP? Explain what that does.

Older Asians seem particularly guilty of this, i'm not saying this because i have any racist agenda, just that there are a lot locally and i witness it often.

Rampant racism in just 8 posts, impressive even for this forum.

I've seen drivers on a mobile with kids in the car. Chatting on a mobile whilst driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, the law needs to catch up with these cretins, especially teenagers driving whilst checking facetube or whatever:

'Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha': Chilling last text sent by teenage driver seconds before she died in 80mph horror crash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2110646/Driving-facebooking-safe-Haha-Parents-daughters-text-predicted-fatal-mistake-seeking-change-driving-laws.html#ixzz1oTMWzYwL

I've seen drivers on a mobile with kids in the car. Chatting on a mobile whilst driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, the law needs to catch up with these cretins, especially teenagers driving whilst checking facetube or whatever:

Why especially teenagers? The law should should catch up with all theses cretins regardless of age.

Just ban all motor vehicles - end of motoring accidents.

We all buy a horse, and the carnage starts again.

Life is about risk, just live it and forget about the nanny state running your life for you.

Angel.

Everyone should ride bicycles like me, I have a really nice old bike with a basket on that I found abandoned on waste ground last year. How many road deaths are there in bejing due to kids in cars being un belted, I wonder ?