KONY 2012 Cover the Night SHEFFIELD

Yeah, like a few internet warriors are going to sort that one out.

I watched the video. All I left thinking was, here we go, another privileged westerner who thinks he can change the world with a camera. He can't.

Where's Madonna, Brand and Angelina when you need them.

That's a great link , thanks splodgeyAl .

So Uganda has large , recently discovered , still untapped , oil reserves . The Chinese are very interested . What excuse can the US give for extending its involvement in Africa ? If enough people put pressure on the US government to go and look for Kony (who allegedly left the country 6 years ago) , then they'll just have to bow to public pressure , won't they ????

Who said living in a democracy was easy !

I don't see why people are so verbally out-spoken about a campaign that's actually been successful. If any other charity were to put the same time, effort and originality into their campaigns would you still hold the same view? Invisible Children has been around for years trying to deal with the mess Kony has caused. The film Kony 2012 was made specifically to raise awareness. Would this thread indeed exist if it wasn't for this film? Would you know who he was and the atrocious crimes he had committed if it wasn't for the campaign that you are speaking up against? No! So all you people who think you're so awesome by speaking against it, why don't you go out and start your own campaign for something you really believe in and see what it's like. If it flops then you can't say anything about this campaign as you would then understand just how hard they would have tried and how much time and effort that the organisers would have spent on this campaign that did what you couldn't. If you're successful, then brace yourself to be ridiculed like these guys are. So jump off the bandwagon and get off your high horse. Stop thwarting a campaign that's doing well. And I will now add, yes, I am aware that a majority of the money isn't even going to the charity. At what point did the video say it was going to? It's going to raise awareness and MAKE KONY FAMOUS! That's the whole point. Do you think it costs pennies to make someone famous? Hell no! So back down. And yes, they take some of the money, but would you work as many hours as they did, for as many years as they have, put in all the effort they did for nothing? I don't think you would. But hey, prove me wrong, get a camera for a few grand and make a slick video that'll bring attention to your cause and do it all for nothing by all means. Hell, I'll donate to whichever charity you do that for. But of course you won't because it's easier to criticise on those who have taken a chance, and been successful in doing well on their cause than to think, hmmm... good idea but I disagree with this or that, what I'm going to do is make a video for a charity I really believe in and do it all for free.

Why buy the "official" T-shirt , posters or bracelets in the first place ?

I imagine that the "feel good" factor of giving money to charity is dead, and people now need something tangible for their money - or something to show off to friends and strangers.

Anyone remember a rather odious thread from someone on here who lost their poppy and wanted another one free of charge?

It all reeks of Smashie and Nicey "does a lot of work for charideee but doesn't talk about it".

That's a great link , thanks splodgeyAl .

So Uganda has large , recently discovered , still untapped , oil reserves . The Chinese are very interested . What excuse can the US give for extending its involvement in Africa ? If enough people put pressure on the US government to go and look for Kony (who allegedly left the country 6 years ago) , then they'll just have to bow to public pressure , won't they ????

Who said living in a democracy was easy !

Word!

LOL it never ceases to amaze me how easily manipulatable people are.

If you can't see through such obvious propaganda then I feel sorry for you. There are so many warlords in Africa, much worse than Joseph Kony, and yet the US have decided to invade Uganda. Why on earth do you think they would go after something that doesn't affect their geopolitical interests.

Kony 2012 is viral propaganda!!! In essence you support a future war.

Why doesn't the Koni 2012 movement feature more Ugandans voicing their concerns that their country may /will end up like Nigeria , with the Americans and Chinese battling for their oil whilst the Ugandans get nothing ?

Could the voice of the ordinary Ugandan be deliberately silenced by powerful governments ? How many Ugandans have access to the Internet to join the Kony 2012 campaign ? Any thoughts , Facebookers ? BevWall , you sound like someone idealistic , which is great , but please look at the MediaResearch tv site , it may make you think more deeply , but may also make you cynical beyond your years !

The clip from 10 O' Clock Live, should contain a naughty language alert.

WARNING: This clip may contain language that some people may find offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjnWbo8cGYQ&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3D10%2Bo%2Bclock%2Blive%2B6%26oq%3D10%2Bo%2Bclock%2Blive%2B6%26aq%3Df%26aqi%3D%26aql%3D%26gs_sm%3D12%26gs_upl%3D17893l18470l0l19796l2l2l0l0l0l0l172l313l0.2l2l0&has_verified=1

The piece from Charlie Brooker about Kony starts at 05:33ish, and there's a bit of a discussion after it.

Whatever your opinion on the "Cover the Night" organisers the following is happening:

BBC says:

There will be a short debate in Parliment on 26 March concerning Joseph Kony and the Lord’s Resistance Army.

Guardian says:

"African Union brigade to hunt down LRA leader.Force of 5,000 troops from central African countries to be formed to 'stop Kony with military hardware..'"

So those of you out there who have played a part in this- well done.

Well done particulary to those youngsters who helped publicise these wrongs.

And to those of you who .......... well done- your replies helped to publicise the issue as well.