Waiting for a Gall Bladder Operation..How long??

Hi everyone

Does anyone know how long its takes for the Sheffield Hospitals to get back to you after referral from your doctors regarding having your Gall Bladder removed?

I am in constant uncomfortable pain and would be grateful if anyone has any idea?

The doctors just tell me 'several weeks'...that could be 3 that could be 10!!!

HELP!!! :help:

Thank you

SIL had one a while back I think it was about 2 months from the diagnosis to removal x

Are you definitely having it removed or awaiting a scan etc first? Once the hospital scans you they may decide to just remove the stones not the complete gallbladder, which may be a bit quicker.

Good Luck

i had mine removed. From doctors to hospital referral was a couple of weeks. From 1st hospital appointment to actually op was about 6 months :-(. Hope yours is quicker :-)

I got referred at beginnning of Feb but its just a pain as I cant book a holiday, cant plan weekend away etc so was just wondering if anyone had any timescale...

I am just waiting for a letter to see the surgeon so suppose it will be more waiting after that...???...

Thank you for you replies xXx

keep an eye on what your eating, certain foods can set the pain off.i had my gall bladder removed at rotherham hospital because the waiting times were shorter than sheffields.i was in and out in the same day but the pain of gall stones is something i will never forget.

Me neither, if they've referred you to NGH I'd go back and asked to be sent to Hallamshire it's quicker. When I had trapped nerve in my hand the waiting list at NGH was about 10 months, I went back to doctor and was referred to Hallamshire and was in, had operation done and was out inside 10 DAYS

Me neither, if they've referred you to NGH I'd go back and asked to be sent to Hallamshire it's quicker. When I had trapped nerve in my hand the waiting list at NGH was about 10 months, I went back to doctor and was referred to Hallamshire and was in, had operation done and was out inside 10 DAYS

The Hallamshire hospital doesn't do gallbladder operations anymore, their speciality has moved across to the NGH.

i doubt you would sent to the hallamshire, as all hepato-biliary stuff is now performed at the northern general.

there are a lot of contributing factors as to what course of treatment your surgeon will take - any hepato-biliary surgery is risky, so they wont charge in and take your gall bladder out unless its the best thing to do.

good luck with it,

samsmum :)

The Hallamshire hospital doesn't do gallbladder operations anymore, their speciality has moved across to the NGH.

When did they stop doing them? I had mine out there in 2009 - glad I didn't have to go to NGH.

When did they stop doing them? I had mine out there in 2009 - glad I didn't have to go to NGH.

A few months before Christmas, with some of the plastic surgery operating lists going across to the Hallamshire.

I was first seen last March was seen a couple of times after, then got my pre-op assesment on October the 11th. I then had my op cancelled twice should have had it done on December 19th, got it done on the 23rd of January.at NGH.

Edited by alan p