Greeting Card House / Saville Press

Does anyone out there remember Greeting Card House, I worked there in 1959/1960, it was my first job after leaving school. I have never had so much fun as this place, especially with the girls there, WOW, I was only 15 at the time, but these girls taught me a lot. I had a mate who worked with me called David Rodgers, he almost crashed through the attic ceiling whilst we were messing about, the plaster ceiling fell down on the girls below, they were screaming their heads off. No one was hurt, though Dave and myself recieved a right old bollocking from the boss. I left in Feb 1960 to start an apprenticeship with E.W Townsend & Sons, but the memories of Greeting Card House and especially the girls will last forever. Just a few names I remember, Pauline, Edwina, June, Maureen, Shelia, Irene etc. The times we had in the attic, and to think I was getting paid for it, Happy Days.

Delboy.

Does anyone out there remember Greeting Card House, I worked there in 1959/1960, it was my first job after leaving school. I have never had so much fun as this place, especially with the girls there, WOW, I was only 15 at the time, but these girls taught me a lot. I had a mate who worked with me called David Rodgers, he almost crashed through the attic ceiling whilst we were messing about, the plaster ceiling fell down on the girls below, they were screaming their heads off. No one was hurt, though Dave and myself recieved a right old bollocking from the boss. I left in Feb 1960 to start an apprenticeship with E.W Townsend & Sons, but the memories of Greeting Card House and especially the girls will last forever. Just a few names I remember, Pauline, Edwina, June, Maureen, Shelia, Irene etc. The times we had in the attic, and to think I was getting paid for it, Happy Days.

Delboy.

Can anyone tell me the location or address of where Greeting Card House was?

worked at greeting card house with jaqueline barretl loved it also used to take cards homke to do th ribbon the front got paid one penny per card the building id not there i dont think it was on button lane

I thought that it was in an old chapel on Wellington Street that burnt down. I thought that the company started in the Broomhall area as a toy and stationery wholesaler. Trying to remember the name of the boss, it was something unusual such as Guon.

I think it was Off Howard Street either on Arundel Street or Eyre Lane but its more likely to be Arundel Street

The Kelly's directories I have from the 1950s give the address of Greeting Card House as 37 Wellington Street. Directories from 1963 onwards give the address as 72 Arundel Street. Going back further, the 1942 directory shows Greeting Card House at 3 Paradise Street.

The Kelly's directories I have from the 1950s give the address of Greeting Card House as 37 Wellington Street. Directories from 1963 onwards give the address as 72 Arundel Street. Going back further, the 1942 directory shows Greeting Card House at 3 Paradise Street.

Thank you Hillsbro, as I said earlier it was in an old chapel on Wellington Street

which burnt down. The following day I went to the paint wholesaler Allan Davies who were opposite and the air was full of the smell of burning paper and charred cards scattered over the road.

Thanks everyone, my Mum would have started work there in the 1940's.

Thanks everyone, my Mum would have started work there in the 1940's.

Hi what is your mums name

I worked at Greeting Card House in 1958 I am a friend of Edwina and still am we went to school together.

On 06/03/2012 at 06:11, Derek Clayton said:

Delboy.

My mum Doreen worked there when she was 16 in 1948/9

She knew a Kathleen Wilkes.

Mum's 90 now but still remembers it on Wellington St.