British Gas = Am I right or Wrong

We have an online account (online tariffs are cheaper). But someone still comes around annually to read our meters.

So my question is;

Am I right or wrong in not sending my Meter readings on line??

Your comments most welcome.

I doubt very much they'd send someone out to read it for you, they'll estimate. They're only required to read the meter visually every 2 years.

With that in mind your notion that "it puts a man out of work" doesn't hold water, your objections seem to be unfounded.

British Gas don't have meter readers anymore. It's all contracted out to such companies like G4S, Easy Read, meter 4 you, etc. (I'm making educated guesses at the companies names, I don't know exactly). These meter readers are self employed to get around the whole minimum wage debacle, and the parent companies having to pay minimum wage. They have to read about 200 - 250 meters a day to get anything like £6 - £7 an hour.

So you haven't really done anything against British Gas for taking your stance.

Edited by Anglersvista

No I don't work for the public sector, I am retired, but when I see a guy reading my meter I know he is getting paid for doing that, I don't get paid for sending my meter reading on line, nor do I get a reduction in my Gas/Electricity Bill. For Emmie, I pay a lot of my bills on line, Credit Cards, Car Insurance, some shopping etc, yes it is convenient, but nobodys jobs are at risk by paying these type of bills on line - but think of the poor Meter Reader with a family and two kids who won't get paid if you continue paying British Gas Bills on line - have you got kids?

Baz

The fact people pay their bills online or by direct debit rather than queuing and paying at the post office or bank, has caused staff reductions their and many post office closures. Times change.

A syllogistic fallacy it may, or not be, but the fact remains: if more people declined to read their meters, then more men/women would be in work, thereby reducing the profit that BG make, I ask you in all honestly, can we see a reduction in out Gas Bills, by doing this? Savings made by BG through sending our meter readings on line won't reduce our bills, it will only line the pockets of their executives.

What makes you think they'll reduce profit rather than put prices up even more to pay for the man in the van to read your meter?

Made me laugh !!

Maybe if more people decline to read their meters, BG will need to employ more men/women to read the meters so your bill will go up?

Then you will be on here asking why your bill has gone up!

The year is 2012 by the way ??

Maybe BG would be able to get by with fewer meter reading (wo)men, but instead they have to pay to develop/maintain the software to take readings from you.

So one man loses work, another gains.

I got an Email today from British Gas asking me to read my meter and send it on line - I refuse to do this for a number of reasons:

1. If I do this on line it puts a man out of work.

2. If I do this it puts a man out of work, and his wage wil be added to British Gas profits.

3. If I do this it will put a man out of work, add to British Gas's profits and increase their shareholders Bonus.

4. If I do this it will put men out of work, their wages will be added to BG's profit, their shareholders and Managing directors wil enjoy a bumper bonus - what do I get?

5. If I do this, it will put men out of work, their wages will be included in BG's profit, their shareholders and Managing directors will get dirty big bonuses , what will I get, a reduction in my Gas/Electricity Bill?

So my question is;

Am I right or wrong in not sending my Meter readings on line??

Your comments most welcome.

Baz

Sexist, it could be woman out of work too.