Getting out of a rental contract

Thats one view of it. It happened to me - a tennant decided to leave just a few weeks after signing a 12 month contract. I figured I might just as well get another tennant in, and get on with life. I was more cheesed off by the tennant getting the whole deposit back from the company holding it - despite her throwing some of my furniture in the skip and swapping my Bosch washing machine for a cheaper one. The deposit paid it all back to her before they even spoke to me about it. I fllied the paperwork in as requested and they just paid it all back.

I just put it down as a life lesson - pick your tennants more carefully.

A very hard lesson and pretty much unavoidable. How on earth can you determine a good tenant from a bad one ? By the time you discover that you are already a victim.

How many hits of this nature could you take if say four or five tenants in succession turned you over in this way and or left you with 17k of damage as well ?

In my case the losses were so extensive as to create an inability to write off and therefore recovery is the only option left.

I am aware of 3 rogue tenants whose names appear on no blacklists or indeed anywhere to alert any would be landlord as to what they are in for by letting to these people.

Had you stood your ground and had access to the professional knowledge of Jeffrey Shaw then your recovery of rent would be the price of a trip to the courts.

That is the avenue i will be processing and if you are into this regular then perhaps we could PM our own personal blacklist for future tenants who are known to certain landlords but under the radar of all ut those who have experience of them

Edited by Hemibr

Hello- contact your estate agent and see if you can negotiate on the £180. I'm sure new tenants will be found quickly, especially if you make the house look as desirable as possible on viewings. If the agent won't budge on £180 then look at it this way, £180 is a lot less to pay then full rent until November! Good Luck!