Mobility and free tax disc

Hi, could anybody help me please. My girlfriend has a car and takes my dad to hospital appointments, doctors, shopping etc and to see his family. He recieves the higher rate of disability living allowance, so would my girlfriend be able to apply for the free tax disc as she is the one who takes him wherever he needs to go. would this affect his money and where or who do we apply to to claim this, and any info or links we could go to to get the advice we need, many thanks :help:

Hi, could anybody help me please. My girlfriend has a car and takes my dad to hospital appointments, doctors, shopping etc and to see his family. He recieves the higher rate of disability living allowance, so would my girlfriend be able to apply for the free tax disc as she is the one who takes him wherever he needs to go. would this affect his money and where or who do we apply to to claim this, and any info or links we could go to to get the advice we need, many thanks :help:

Your Dad will claim the tax disc for a nominated car (your girlfriends) and it wouldn't affect his money. Look here

Yes your father could claim a free tax disc, but the downside of this is that the car in which the tax disc is used can only be used 'for the benefit of the disabled person' so if your girlfriend goes to work in the car herself, or does a whole load of other things which are not centred on your dad, then she would be breaking the law.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I just wanted to clarify a bit of something.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I know someone who has free car tax, on a mobility car and I know that they are using the car for their own use (mainly their own use) including commuting and *some* business use, is this actually breaking the law or just against the rules for free cat tax and mobility rules too?

Apologies again!

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I just wanted to clarify a bit of something.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I know someone who has free car tax, on a mobility car and I know that they are using the car for their own use (mainly their own use) including commuting and *some* business use, is this actually breaking the law or just against the rules for free cat tax and mobility rules too?

Apologies again!

you say mainly "there own use", if they are still ferrying around the disabled person who the tax disc belongs too, then no, but if they are not then i would suggest that they are breaking the rules but not the law.