Need advice.. Virtual box ubuntu etc

Ryan'Biz

I'm wanting to try ubuntu. see what it's all about etc. but i don't want to lose window's 7 OS and my file's.

iv read on this site about virtual box and what it does etc but it also mention's about having to wait for the laptop to boot twice once for window's and once for linux ubuntu or w.e..

basically i want to know if their is anyway of getting ubuntu but just as an application / peice of software instead of having to partition my hard drive n all the other stuff u got to do for virtual box t work

Wubi is fine, it will just install ubuntu to a directory or drive of your choosing.. it's harmless to windows. You'll just get a dual boot option when you reboot your PC, and windows remains the default option.

You can uninstall from within windows via the add/remove programs..

Although, you will have to boot into one or the other.. it doesn't run Ubuntu as an application or virtual machine within windows.

I dont get a boot option on my laptop.. it goes to a black screen with abit of white writing when i first turn it on but that screen's gone in a second.. will wubi put the boot option thing in automatically so when i shut down n turn it back on il get a choice between ubuntu and window's...??? also it doesn't affect any file's i got on here?

Thanks btw

I dont get a boot option on my laptop.. it goes to a black screen with abit of white writing when i first turn it on but that screen's gone in a second.. will wubi put the boot option thing in automatically so when i shut down n turn it back on il get a choice between ubuntu and window's...??? also it doesn't affect any file's i got on here?

Thanks btw

Yeah you get the Microsoft Dual Boot-loader pops up during boot up.. it allows you to choose windows or ubuntu to log into.

It won't damage any files you have.. although it is possible to wreck your windows install from within the ubuntu os environment once it's successfully booted :)

Seriously just run Wubi if you want to try ubuntu properly without having to partition etc.

It's possible to wreck my window's install :o... if something's possible it means il end up doing it n wrecking it n i don't want that. maybe worth getting a cheap computer to "see" what ubuntu's like n maybe use it for abit of linux/android play...

think the live cd is safer way of trying it.. i mean like you say its possible is that if ur messing with settings u dont underrstand or is it possible from it just going dodgy one day or something...

Thanks

It's possible to wreck my window's install :o... if something's possible it means il end up doing it n wrecking it n i don't want that. maybe worth getting a cheap computer to "see" what ubuntu's like n maybe use it for abit of linux/android play...

think the live cd is safer way of trying it.. i mean like you say its possible is that if ur messing with settings u dont underrstand or is it possible from it just going dodgy one day or something...

Thanks

It's just as possible with a LiveCD.. :D

"Preparation is the father of Precaution!"

Before messing with any different OS:

1. Run chkdsk.

2. Run defrag

I tried WUBI a couple of times and on the second occasion of trying I noticed the warning that "WUBI can affect your hard drive's performance" - I'd rather do a proper install alongside of Windows like the system I am using now - Windows 7/Zorin on sda1, Ultimate Edition 2.9 on sda2 with GRUB in MBR on sda1 (GRand Unified Bootloader and Master Boot Record). I can access my Windows 7 Partition and drag and drop files from one system to the other (not from Windows - you need Sysinternals for that and I think M$ bought them out I read recently! Another solution is if you want to try a specifically GNU/Linux Application is to install another Application called 'AndLinux' never tried it but it is supposed to let you run Linux Apps on Windows - suspect it uses Cygwin which can be a security risk but never found out how - just came across a link about it on insecure.org but never found a page that explained it! Even after booting from a Live CD or USB Windows can be 'upset' temporarily - the mere fact of a Penguin living so close to Windows that it could break with its flippers is too much for it to contemplate!:hihi: But it will not break it - unless you suddenly decide to run the 'Install Ubuntu to the hard drive'! It has taken some time for the installer to change it's wording to something more user friendly - someone who is not technical would soon be put off after reading what used to be the first option:

"Install or try Live" - 'what does that mean?' you ask upon reading - it has to be one or the other! Well yes it boots into live - it does not install until you click on that icon that appears in the top left!:hihi: Have fun!

Edited by swarfendor43
typo