Indestructible Toys?

libuse

I have spent quite a lot of money on allegedly indestructible toys since my new girl arrived three months ago. It transpires that they are all, in fact, easily destructible. The latest was yesterday's £8 "ruff n tuff" which lasted about 10-15 minutes before it was just threads and guts all over the carpet. The thing is, my girl is only a greyhound, and there are lots of dogs that must be heavier-wearing on toys than a greyhound, I would assume?

So, owners of rotties, GSDs, mastiffs, akitas....if you have any tips about toy brands that last more than 10 minutes or so, I'd love to hear your recommendations? I'm guessing such dogs need pretty tough toys? I'm getting to the point that a housebrick wrapped in fur might be the only way to entertain my girl :)

Kongs are good also try Nylobones.

Thank you for your suggestions Wallace, but since she's been here I have witnessed a few shredded nylobones, they are no task for her to get through :( . So far she hasn't destroyed a kong, but they are only fun if there are treats in them, which obviously she can't have all the time.

My other greyhounds have always had fluffy toys that they seem to love and carry about the house to their various dens, and this has given them a task to focus on. My new girl gets through such fluffies in minutes. I'm hoping there is something out there that she can get a fix on to give her a similar task, but I'm not hopeful

Have you tried her with dental cotton rope toys? They can be quite hardy.

Oooh, or fire hose toys. Molly is very gentle with her toys, but the fire hose toys that she has look rather tough.

Ooh I'd not heard of the fire hose toys, but have just googled them and they look like a possible - anything with indestructibility AND a squeak is our holy grail, I think. I will definitely get one of these next.

We have a dental cotton rope toy which is about half the size it was and there are shreds of it all over the house....my new girl really is a lively one...

our dog diamond (the destroyer as she has come to be known) will kill most toys in lesd than a day although she has calmed dwn alot of late. kong do a range of toys not just the stuffable kind we have a kong frisbee that has had a good run. anything with a squeak drives her nuts she wont rest till its in pieces so we avoid squeekies now? we find the giant flavoured hide chews are good the aim is to destroy it and it tastes good diamond will play bow to it stalk it toss it up in the air and catch it. its prob her favourite toy after her ball thn again she is a bull cross and nt so gifted in the brains department god bless her. might sound silly but do you actively discourage destructive behaviour might sound simple but any ripping gets an "ah ah" (although this usually leads to quiet skulkin off to her cage to contine the rip fest lol)

I've got a ball for my staffy cross that is too big to fit in her mouth and made of very hard plastic. She wants to kill it so much, and she can't. Ha. I think they're called boomer balls, and v good for playing in the park but no good for inside the house.

I've also had success with the big black kongs (not the small ones, she rips those up in no time).

I met a man in the park the other day who told me that there was no way Cassie would be able to rip up the ball he was using with his dog. I was sceptical, so he said 'let's try it' and gave it to her. It was a raquetball, and apparently when they try and bite down on it it just pops out of their mouth. Cassie didn't do much chewing though, more running around with it once she'd realised that we were fascinated by what she was going to do with it - so I can't totally vouch for it, but he seemed pretty certain...

i can vouch for the boomer balls too but def an outdoor toy like jessica says if u want any house left when there done playing.

what about giving stuff she can rip up treats scrunched up in news paper in a card board box or a biccie wrapped and tied up in an old rag l ike a ripped up old t shirt? would need the hoover out after tho lol

If you are vaguely near me and want to try a boomer ball you can have the one that Molly isn't bothered with in the least. She isn't interested in it if she can't pick it up, so it's been in a box somewhere for the last couple of years after I got fed up of falling over it.

Isn't Sheffield Forum fab? I only asked for help an hour ago and I've already had suggestions of products I didn't know about, suggestions of improvised toys and an offer of a toy to borrow - seriously, this is such a great forum! Thank you all

I don't know if a ball would be her thing, she doesn't chase (unless it's fluffy and moving), it's more a fluffy squeaky thing that she can't shred in seconds that I'm looking for. I think the fire hose toys might be a starter, or I'll try making my own from old clothes with a view that they'll have a shelf life of an hour or so. I think from the responses I've had so far, those of you with more robust dogs have dogs that like to chase. In my experience of greyhounds they tend to like toys that they can take to their bed, and then destroy as they see fit. Odd beasts, greyhounds.

I'm going to order a fire hose toy on Amazon and I'll see how we get on with that