Born February 29 and left-handed.

there is always a bit of a spike around the end of January until the middle of February in populations that include a lot of Chinese people - but 29th of February is just outside the range of possible dates for Chinese New Year's Day proper.

whilst nobody intends to have a baby for leap day, plenty want to have a baby to co-incide with Chinese New Year and the two dates can co-incide.

there is always a bit of a spike around the end of January until the middle of February in populations that include a lot of Chinese people - but 29th of February is just outside the range of possible dates for Chinese New Year's Day proper.

whilst nobody intends to have a baby for leap day, plenty want to have a baby to co-incide with Chinese New Year and the two dates can co-incide.

Hence when taking global matters into consideration, makes this question even more definitively unanswerable :hihi:

Left handed, black sheep of the family, sociopath misunderstood.

And you think you have it bad?

Well everyone I’m one of those people. I was born on the 29th of Feb 1988 & strangely I’m a left handed. What are the odds eh 🤷‍♂️. I would love to meet someone who’s at least born on the 29th let alone being a lefty 

My g/daughter was  ambidextrous until  she was 10 or so but then wrote with her  left hand BUT she holds a knife and fork as right handed.

Are any of the lefties on here like that?

I was born on Valentine's Eve and I'm lefthanded

A cousin of mine was born on 29th Feb,  also my nephews daughter was born on 29th Feb. Not left handed as far as I know.

In my immediate family we have  6 left handers :

Son.

Daughter in Law.

Son in Law.

2 x  Grandsons.

My Sister.

Out of these,  3 are ambidextrous because although they write with their left hands, they use tools etc right handed ( probably out of necessity )

On 05/03/2012 at 16:19, callippo said:

here is how I would attempt to answer this. There is one leap day in every 1461 days.

roughly 11% of the world is left-handed. So let's just say there's a 10% chance of somebody born being left-handed.

it's difficult to calculate precisely, because the birth rate is variable. More people are born at particular times of the year than others.

but if you assume the birthrate is constant (i.e. the same four years ago as it is now, or the same at the end of February as it is at the beginning of December, which it is not) then somebody has a 1 in 1461 chance of being born on a leap day.

then it's roughly 10 times that that will be left-handed.

therefore the rough odds of somebody being born on a leap day and left handed are around 1 in 14600.

My brain hurts so much I might have to start smoking again with one of those right handed cigars even though I’m left handed and born in January 😀

Edited by catmiss
Typo

9 hours ago, catmiss said:

My brain hurts so much I might have to start smoking again with one of those right handed cigars even though I’m left handed and born in January 😀

Here is an easy one for you.

When choosing bananas do you go for the ones that curve to the left or to the right?

Edited by davyboy

On 29/02/2020 at 10:24, davyboy said:

My g/daughter was  ambidextrous until  she was 10 or so but then wrote with her  left hand BUT she holds a knife and fork as right handed.

Are any of the lefties on here like that?

I write right handed, use a knife and fork the 'correct' way, but kick and throw with the left. Yet I would play snooker as a right handed person. I'm just weird, I know 🤣

I was born February 8th and I am left handed although I throw darts for instance with my right hand,at a push I could write with my right hand clumsily but only if forced to!.So I must be ambidextrous,as a kid I seem to remember being left handed was frowned on I don,t know why!.

one day is 24 hours so if you were born at say 7pm on 29th Feb. is it still your birthday until 7pm 1st March?

Edited by cressida
used until