Born February 29 and left-handed.

In a leap year?

Was 1980 a leap year? Let me check... yes it was. So I was born in a leap year on August 1 and right handed. I am miles away from the prize! LOL! cressida you could be closest. I wonder if anyone on Sheffield Forum was born on February 29 and is left-handed!

Are you or do you know someone who is?

What are the chances? 1/((365*4)+1) couple with... what percentage of the population is left-handed?

13% left handed in UK, according to an unnamed study on a 5 old BBC article... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6943871.stm It's not even an accurate enough stat for wikipedia to quote, but it'll do.

So... if we assume that 10% of the user accounts on this forum are different real people... that means there should be somebody on the Forum... who is it? :suspect:

Are you or do you know someone who is?

What are the chances? 1/((365*4)+1) couple with... what percentage of the population is left-handed?

13% left handed in UK, according to an unnamed study on a 5 old BBC article... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6943871.stm It's not even an accurate enough stat for wikipedia to quote, but it'll do.

So... if we assume that 10% of the user accounts on this forum are different real people... that means there should be somebody on the Forum... who is it? :suspect:

It depends on how you work it out (or how you word it).

(using round numbers, of 150,000 members and using 10% LHers)

You would assume, 150,000members/10=15,000 left handed members into 1461 possible days. That would be around 10 members that would be on here. However that would be most likely wrong, since it would require that members have evenly spread birthdays, which most certainly isn't the case.

However, euro worded it nearer to 'what are the chances of being born on Feb29 and left handed?'

Which would place the chances of been born on the 29 Feb and being left handed at 6.84x10ⁿ-5 (I think)

Edited by *_ash_*
added

here is how I would attempt to answer this. There is one leap day in every 1461 days.

roughly 11% of the world is left-handed. So let's just say there's a 10% chance of somebody born being left-handed.

it's difficult to calculate precisely, because the birth rate is variable. More people are born at particular times of the year than others.

but if you assume the birthrate is constant (i.e. the same four years ago as it is now, or the same at the end of February as it is at the beginning of December, which it is not) then somebody has a 1 in 1461 chance of being born on a leap day.

then it's roughly 10 times that that will be left-handed.

therefore the rough odds of somebody being born on a leap day and left handed are around 1 in 14600.

It depends on how you work it out (or how you word it).

(using round numbers, of 150,000 members and using 10% LHers)

You would assume, 150,000members/10=15,000 left handed members into 1461 possible days. That would be around 10 members that would be on here. However that would be most likely wrong, since it would require that members have evenly spread birthdays, which most certainly isn't the case.

However, euro worded it nearer to 'what are the chances of being born on Feb29 and left handed?'

Which would place the chances of been born on the 29 Feb and being left handed at 6.84x10ⁿ-5 (I think)

You forgot to divide by 10 again for all the fake/dormant/banned accounts. I get it at around 1 in 14,000, so I'm not sure how you did your maths.

You forgot to divide by 10 again for all the fake/dormant/banned accounts. I get it at around 1 in 14,000, so I'm not sure how you did your maths.

I've written the workings out in the post.

here is how I would attempt to answer this. There is one leap day in every 1461 days.

roughly 11% of the world is left-handed. So let's just say there's a 10% chance of somebody born being left-handed.

it's difficult to calculate precisely, because the birth rate is variable. More people are born at particular times of the year than others.

but if you assume the birthrate is constant (i.e. the same four years ago as it is now, or the same at the end of February as it is at the beginning of December, which it is not) then somebody has a 1 in 1461 chance of being born on a leap day.

then it's roughly 10 times that that will be left-handed.

therefore the rough odds of somebody being born on a leap day and left handed are around 1 in 14600.

However, it doesn't take into account other factors, like someone who conceives on 29th Feb or after, then up to May three years later has almost zero chance of having a birth on the 29th Feb, which rules out most of the 1461 days for actually giving birth at all on the 29th Feb.