Why showing a British Army Card to the Plug's doorman?

One of my flatmates has a British Army Card and last night when we went to the Plug, he showed it to the doorman during the ID check, instead of showing a driving license which was also in his wallet.

As far as I know the IDs accepted across the town are driving license and passport, and the others have to be carrying a "PASS" logo.

He was stopped and the doorman asked through walkietalkie for another staff to the door. Me and the other flatmates passed the ID check, went inside and waited for him. He joined us within 2 mins. We've no idea did he showed his d/license at last or did the doorman accepted his Army ID.

Is the reason for showing his Army card

1) Knowing the card is accepted / might be accepted cos the DoB is on, he wanted to show off that he's a (Territorial) Army member?

OR 2) Want to test if this nightclub accepts this card?

Background info.

I'm a Chinese who's born abroad and I've been going out with my British flatmates many times. The above mentioned flatmate is a Territorial Army member, who speaks an extremely broad Welsh accent that I rarely understand what he says, and is going to take a army service gap year months later.

For his strong accent, as well as the fact that other flatmates are yet to wake up. I don't think I'm able to learn the answer to the question shortly. Tell me what you think about the reason for showing Army Card to the doorman!

Edited by 222Meridian

Its saves him from having to do a funny handshake?

Some clubs used to let servicemen in for free. It may still be that way.

I suggest you ask the flatmate.

Anyone who is on the sheffield forum is unlikely to know as they were not there and do not know this character.

Thats what i have been told aswell

I suggest you ask the flatmate.

Anyone who is on the sheffield forum is unlikely to know as they were not there and do not know this character.

He is Welsh .. Pretty damn good character reference there :hihi: The Welsh rank among side The Leeds :gag:

Some clubs do not take it as ID, and also once you have shown it are less likely to let you in anyway, especially if there is a group of lads all with army ID.

I don't know, I've seen it work the other way. If the doorman is ex services they get let in and allowed to cause as much trouble as they like.

It used to be that no club could refuse access to servicemen / women or charge them admittance

I don't know, I've seen it work the other way. If the doorman is ex services they get let in and allowed to cause as much trouble as they like.

Go on then, give us an example. A real one.

Anyway the club should stick to the rule it set!

In Corporation club there's a sign printed on the wall listing which kinds of ID the club accepts.

I'm not sure if there's also a similar printed list stuck around the Plug's door.

If the Army Card is not on the list nor carrying the PASS hologram then it should not be accepted!

Anyway the club should stick to the rule it set!

In Corporation club there's a sign printed on the wall listing which kinds of ID the club accepts.

I'm not sure if there's also a similar printed list stuck around the Plug's door.

If the Army Card is not on the list nor carrying the PASS hologram then it should not be accepted!

This is a friend of yours that is being discussed isn't it?

This is a friend of yours that is being discussed isn't it?

Yes. By asking him, I won't get the answer as I can't hear his vague and broad Welsh accent! However in this forum I saw there were doormen or members working in clubs discussing here! I may get a good answer through this forum!