Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

Wrong on three counts. Cannabis related short term memory loss is only exhibited whilst under the influence, Short term memory quickly returns after use.

Alcohol reliably causes complete memory blackouts of course.

If cannabis destroys ambition, then will someone please tell Richard Branson.

Fattening foods make you fat, cannabis can help prevent nausea and is an appetite stimulant much like alcohol, only far less toxic.

Totally incorrect;

I'm acqainted with three individuals. two of whom are employed in managerial positions, middle aged and given up the weed decades ago.

In their young days they were surfer beach boys who smoked pot on a regular basis for a number of years.

I see them frequently on social occasions and both exhibit the same problem of not remembering things we discussed as recently as a week ago.

One has openly admitted that he does have a problem remembering things from one day to the next and the other that this problem has impacted his job performance on occasion.

The third person inherited a family business but because of his lack of ability to run it properly which he now admits to smoking pot finally had to declare bankruptcy and close it down

You'll need to do better than just cite one individual (Richard Branson) as an example that use of cannabis in no way affects personal ambition.

We're not discussing fattening foods or alcohol here. We know already the damage they do. Justifying the legality of cannabis on the basis that it's no worse that booze or fatty food just doesn't cut it as a logical argument.

No it doesn't!

Eating too much makes you fat! I've used cannabis on and off for over a decade and I'm still on the ball. It makes me feel productive, inventive, creative and, dare I say it, rather suggestive.

It does give me the munchies but I exercise, daily. Same as anyone should if they eat too much.

You're one of the luckier ones then.

Totally incorrect;

I'm acqainted with three individuals. two of whom are employed in managerial positions, middle aged and given up the weed decades ago.

In their young days they were surfer beach boys who smoked pot on a regular basis for a number of years.

I see them frequently on social occasions and both exhibit the same problem of not remembering things we discussed as recently as a week ago.

One has openly admitted that he does have a problem remembering things from one day to the next and the other that this problem has impacted his job performance on occasion.

The third person inherited a family business but because of his lack of ability to run it properly which he now admits to smoking pot finally had to declare bankruptcy and close it down

You'll need to do better than just cite one individual (Richard Branson) as an example that use of cannabis in no way affects personal ambition.

Then you'll accept that you need to do better than cite three anecdotal cases to support your "delayed memory loss" theory, I'm certain.

We're not discussing fattening foods or alcohol here. We know already the damage they do. Justifying the legality of cannabis on the basis that it's no worse that booze or fatty food just doesn't cut it as a logical argument.

We already know the damage cannabis does too. No-one on this thread is saying it's safe, (although it is staggeringly safe compared to alcohol). What is being argued is that current approaches to tackling the manifold problems that arise from drug use are -

• Totally counterproductive - the penalties incurred by drug possession are more detrimental to the individual and society than the drug itself.

• Based on a mess of truth, misconceptions, myths, fear and outright lies.

• An affront to ideas of personal liberty and the right to self determination a.k.a Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Totally incorrect;

Not "totally".

It is known to cause problems in developing brains/adolescence, but adults don't suffer any permanent memory loss or lack of function.

Even if it did with excessive use in adults, which does not seem to be the case from the studies I've seen, this discussion mainly applies to the majority of users who use in moderation.

Anecdotal, could be any number of reason ranging from you're boring as hell and they just don't listen to you, or an excuse for their lack of ability.

Sounds like it could have turned out to be quite a convenient excuse ;)

Not that I discount your view, I'm just pointing out equally plausible reasons why someone might want to blame their shortcomings on something/anything rather than admit it's their own makup.

I doubt the use makes that much difference, rather the attitude and outlook that leads to the willingness to try something others say you shouldn't.

We're not discussing fattening foods or alcohol here.

We are discussing alcohol, because it's a drug that changes perception in similar ways to cannabis, yet is legal. It's a valid comparison.

We also know that alcohol was legislated for & regulated because people were suffering adverse effects due to a lack of known quality/purity.

It's odd then, that one of the main points alot of people use to justify prohibition and no regulation for illegal drugs is the risk of overdose due to a lack of known quality/purity.

Legislation might reduce the numerous issues people often site.

We know already the damage they do. Justifying the legality of cannabis on the basis that it's no worse that booze or fatty food just doesn't cut it as a logical argument.

If you look at it the other way, and consider this an argument for not banning alcohol and cigs, then perhaps you'll see that many of the reasons you can think of why alcohol shouldn't be prohibited also apply to cannabis.

Totally incorrect;

Maybe they just find what you say incredibly boring? I know I do, you make assertions with no basis in fact whatsoever, all you are doing is projecting your ignorance by making up silly stories about a joint smoked thirty years ago caused a business to fail. I may as well cite Paul Mcartney as "proof" that smoking grass makes you marry psychopathic monoped geordies.

Paul McCartney John Lennon, all the Beatles and almost every musician from the 60's and 70's.

Johnny Depp

Jeff Bridges

Robert Downey Jr

Jack Nicholson

Dennis Hopper

I smoke weed every now and then and have a successful career.

There's many more that I could list, but I'm getting sick of typing now.

Edited by Bonzo77

Here we go again

Paul McCartney has given up now,following pressure from his children,and about blinking time too, at his age.

Edited by janie48

Right now I'm smoking some Bluecheese and relaxing at home. :bigsmile:

Goodness i bet that stinks.:hihi:

I would rather have it on some decent bread with a good Port.But each to their own.

Bluecheese is a cross breed of blueberry skunk weed crossed with cheese skunk weed.