Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/i-will-continue-to-jail-drug-growers-1-4309336

SHEFFIELD’s top judge has vowed to continue locking up cannabis growers despite the introduction of new sentencing guidelines - and publicly backed The Star’s campaign to crack down on the drug.

Judge Alan Goldsack QC told Sheffield Crown Court reducing sentences would ‘undermine public confidence’ - adding he would choose to disregard the guidelines if he thought an immediate jail term was called for.

So I decided to interview a few people who would like to remain anonymous...

I don't think it is right to lock up potheads, they are peaceful, surely it would make more sense to lock up drunks?

I was forced into cannabis growing to make a living due to the lack of jobs in this town

Buy British they say, but now I have to buy imports from the continent, doing local people out of a job and increasing our trade deficit.

I like to have a joint at night whilst watching the soaps, it helps with my arthritis

I buy mine off of a drug dealer, I don't want to, but I daren't risk growing one plant for personal, I wish I could buy a license or pay tax upon my smoke, the money could be used to fund community projects, the local park could have the swings replaced for example, or children could be employed to help old people in their gardens. I wish I could go down to a local cafe and have a joint and play chess, not be long till I got to Amsterdam for a weekend break, they are far more civilised over there!

Drugs are bad mmm kay, when it comes to druggies, kill em all, kill em all

Meanwhile in Spain...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/01/spanish-town-land-marijuana-plantation

A tiny Spanish country town believes it has found a way to make unemployment, debt and economic crisis disappear in a puff of smoke – by leasing out its land for marijuana plantations.

The town hall of Rasquera in Catalonia on Wednesday voted to sign a €1.3m (£1.1m) agreement with a cannabis association in nearby Barcelona to plant marijuana for its 5,000 members.

It will allow the association to plant on a seven-hectare stretch of town hall land – roughly the size of 10 football pitches. "This is a chance to bring in money and create jobs," explained mayor Bernat Pellisa of the Catalan Republican Left party, as older townsfolk worried that he was turning Rasquera into a drugs mecca.

As cannabis rises in price due to state enforced hindrance of growing, crack is becoming relatively affordable.

Should we really support the Star's campaign to crack?

Well done judge.

He can interpret the law how he feels. Guidelines are just that. If he doesn't want to follow them he doesn't have to until such time as they become mandatory.

The more some of these stoners get punished the better. Time to stop pretending that cannabis use is perfectly acceptable. Despite what you lot think. Its still an illegal drug. You get busted using it... you should get punished. GET OVER IT.

Unfortunately, I suspect that many of his fellow colleauges will think he is being harsh with his sentencing and will not support him in this one.

Oh, btw, your "annonymous" poster who says he was forced into cannabis growing due to lack of jobs. Four words mate..... Get looking harder. Moron.

Well done judge.

He can interpret the law how he feels. Guidelines are just that. If he doesn't want to follow them he doesn't have to until such time as they become mandatory.

The more some of these stoners get punished the better. Time to stop pretending that cannabis use is perfectly acceptable. Despite what you lot think. Its still an illegal drug. You get busted using it... you should get punished. GET OVER IT.

Unfortunately, I suspect that many of his fellow colleauges will think he is being harsh with his sentencing and will not support him in this one.

Oh, btw, your "annonymous" poster who says he was forced into cannabis growing due to lack of jobs. Four words mate..... Get looking harder. Moron.

Well said,couldnt have put it better myself.:)

Time to stop pretending that cannabis use is perfectly acceptable. Despite what you lot think. Its still an illegal drug. You get busted using it... you should get punished. GET OVER IT.

Never.

It is a foul unjust law that damages everyone. We can both get over our hurdles, but when you can get over the fact that cannabis use is no worse than any other drug use, and that prohibition is an abject failure, then society may realise just how pointless drug laws are.

Never.

It is a foul unjust law that damages everyone. We can both get over our hurdles, but when you can get over the fact that cannabis use is no worse than any other drug use, and that prohibition is an abject failure, then society may realise just how pointless drug laws are.

Only people that use the drug would make a comment like that.

Only people that use the drug would make a comment like that.

You don't have the brains, the wit or the grammar to make a point.

Never.

Dont preach to me about drug laws and cannabis use.

I have seen both sides of it. Ive seen clients die from heroin use, so called friends and work colleagues snorting coke in pub toilets and personally seen it break my family apart when the effects of your so called harmless drug caused a mental breakdown and violent behaviour of my own releative.

Perhaps if you stopped smoking that crap and joined the real world you might see for yourself.

... when the effects of your so called harmless drug

I never said they were harmless. You misrepresent me.

I've lost friends to drugs. They bought drugs, illegally, and had no idea of their content.

Prohibition is an abject failure. A solid truth.

Relax the law for weed,you open the door to other drugs that are so called harmless.

Relax the law for weed,you open the door to other drugs that are so called harmless.

Any proof of this?

Any proof that the gateway theory is specifically based on one objective plant that grows freely without human interference?

Any proof that smoking this one particular plant makes people "do worse tings"?

Ah Goldsack I wouldnt have expected any different from him, when they issue the lists those on Goldsacks list automatically add 6 months to what they are expecting,the modern day equivalent of the cherished Judge Pickles.