To those of you looking for a new pet

I have had an incresing number of emails asking me about pigs I have available, and feel I should say something to those of you looking to add a pet soon.

Please remember, although the good weather has started to approach, there will be times when its raining, and you don't want to walk the dog/ clean out the rabbits/guinea pigs/ ferrets etc. Please think carefully before you decide to buy them, and make sure you can accomodate them and fulful their needs, even when the weather outside makes you want to stay indoors.

All too often when the school summer holidays are over, and the dark nights draw in, do I get email after email, asking me to take in their no longer wanted guinea pigs, it needs to stop.I am more than happy to take them in for whatever reason, but it grinds on me when all I get is "Oh such and such doesn't want to clean them out in the dark and I don't want them in the house" or "My Son/Daughter/Cousin etc, has got bored of them"

/rant over :love:

I have had an incresing number of emails asking me about pigs I have available, and feel I should say something to those of you looking to add a pet soon.

Please remember, although the good weather has started to approach, there will be times when its raining, and you don't want to walk the dog/ clean out the rabbits/guinea pigs/ ferrets etc. Please think carefully before you decide to buy them, and make sure you can accomodate them and fulful their needs, even when the weather outside makes you want to stay indoors.

All too often when the school summer holidays are over, and the dark nights draw in, do I get email after email, asking me to take in their no longer wanted guinea pigs, it needs to stop.I am more than happy to take them in for whatever reason, but it grinds on me when all I get is "Oh such and such doesn't want to clean them out in the dark and I don't want them in the house" or "My Son/Daughter/Cousin etc, has got bored of them"

There is a difference between a rant and good advice, and the above post, my sweet - is not a rant. :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a new pet, but as you might guess it won't be any of those mentioned, will probably have a couple more legs! :hihi:

I think you are perfectly right to have put this on! its a very valid point and needs to be mentioned ,

Very valid post and not a rant - well done!

"Oh such and such doesn't want to clean them out in the dark and I don't want them in the house" or "My Son/Daughter/Cousin etc, has got bored of them"

Its not a rant, its true. Or when they buy rodents/rabbits etc for young children who get bored very quickly

Or when they need to move house and the landlord doesnt take pets. (although everyone will have circumstances) theres no way I'd consider moving to a house that doesnt allow my cat- I've done it in the new year. Yes, Im paying slightly more and will have to adjust my lifestyle accordingly, it isnt my cats fault that me and my ex partner split.

Everyone has circumstances, but I think sometimes people in rented/not long term accomodation ought to think a cat/dog could live for the next 10-15 years... if their lease a year, then what..?...

Its not a rant, its true. Or when they buy rodents/rabbits etc for young children who get bored very quickly

Or when they need to move house and the landlord doesnt take pets. (although everyone will have circumstances) theres no way I'd consider moving to a house that doesnt allow my cat- I've done it in the new year. Yes, Im paying slightly more and will have to adjust my lifestyle accordingly, it isnt my cats fault that me and my ex partner split.

Everyone has circumstances, but I think sometimes people in rented/not long term accomodation ought to think a cat/dog could live for the next 10-15 years... if their lease a year, then what..?...

Hi cat 86

Did you ever get the stray cat sorted ? x

Something else that gets me, is when they surrender their pigs to me, but won't let me take the cage, or expect me to buy it from them.... its just money back to them, to me its a familiar environment for the pigs.

People don't realise how stressful it is for a pig moving from somewhere its always been to somewhere new, with different voices and sounds and even smells. I've had pigs come in, that have dropped dead of a heart attack due to the move before now..

Thats sad :( We took 2 of our guinea pigs from a home where the teenager couldnt be bothered with them anymore and when I got there the cat was banging at their cage (which was tiny!) and they had no food or water!! Anyway think it was the best thing for them they now go in their large outside run every day :)

I don't think people realise how much guinea pigs eat either - they like their hay and greens - much more expensive in this day and age.