Old Methodist Church on Sharrow Lane

It will be a convenience store and work will start very soon.

Another one? there's two within 20m of it already and 3 within about 50m.

How much more convenient do you need a shop to be?

The scouts had a group attached to Sharrow St. Johns the number was 139. If a church and it's hall disappears what happens to the scouts or other groups that used it, does the 139 scout troop still exist even?

my dad use to be scout leader at 139 sharrow st johns in the early 1970's.

Hi Everyone,

I live around there so pass the building everyday. By the looks of the planning notices that are up around the building it's going to be turned into a massive health farm shop with parking on the side.

my dad use to be scout leader at 139 sharrow st johns in the early 1970's.

Not called Phil is he or was Phil in the mid to late 70's. I had friends who attended that scout troop who reminise about hesley Woods and camping and floating flag poles and rather vicious games of british bulldog

yes he is called Phil. Hope your friends had good memories

Hi Everyone,

I live around there so pass the building everyday. By the looks of the planning notices that are up around the building it's going to be turned into a massive health farm shop with parking on the side.

Thank goodness they are putting in parking

An extract from a letter the Green Party have put out in the area follows. The applicant has chosen to use the name Sharrow Organic Supplies Ltd but the specifications fit a supermarket express store. Once A1 permission is obtained it can be used for any kind of store. The entrance will be 25 yards from the lights at the crossroads *where the drop kerbs have eebn put in) so there are major traffic issues. A good site for a residential development not a big local store next to a decent local shopping parade.

"I am writing to advise you that the following planning application has been submitted to the council for the site on the corner of Sharrow Lane and South View Road :

“Erection of a retail unit (Use Class A1) with associated car parking

Site Of St Johns Church, Sharrow Lane, Sheffield, S11 8AN.”

Proposed vehicle access is from Sharrow Lane leading to 11 parking spaces in front of the proposed shop. Pedestrian access from two entrances on Sharrow Lane and South View Road is proposed.

You can visit http://planning.sheffield.gov.uk/publicaccess to find out more about the proposals. Search by planning reference number 13/00103/FUL. If you wish, you can comment on this planning application, by 25 February if possible. "

(my Bolds)

(* incidentally, the other church at the corner of Vincent road And South View Road became a Christian Science reading room about 45 or so years ago, and then a Sufi mosque, before the commercial attempt to convert it all into apartments, which resulted in the catastrophic fire which gutted the building)

sorry this is incorrect

the cause of the fire at the old mosque on the corner of vincent road was nothing to do with its conversion at the time

the work was not ongoing it had been "pulled" for a while and materials left on the upper floor with a metal security fence around the perimeter.

the cause of the fire was more than likely arson as there were a lot of kids and anti social acitivity going on inside it at the time.

there were even kids heard and seen in the building about 1 hour before the emergency services were called

i know this as fact as i saw it myself since my house was right across from it and i was evactuated as a precaution by the fire brigade and had my hedge doused with water as the ember were blowing across the street and setting it on fire!

Anybody know what's happening with the demolition of this building? They don't seem to have removed a single brick for a couple of weeks now. In fact, it doesn't appear to be a very safe site to me. Poor fencing/signage/precarious bricks etc.