Old Methodist Church on Sharrow Lane

Its a shame its in a mess made alot of friends there .

Plain Talker met you at sharrow lane school reunion i was with my two children .

Its a shame its in a mess made alot of friends there .

Plain Talker met you at sharrow lane school reunion i was with my two children .

Hi Den37, Yes, I remember you! :)

So nothing definate then! Except that the Girl Guides were certainly based there!!

I've tried looking for any planning permission that may have been applied for but can't find any!

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Edited by adymac

my guess is if there are no specific protections e.g. listing, then there is nothing to stop the owners stripping it of items of value e.g. metal, as long as this doesnt constitute demolition. They will have to apply for planning permission for the demolition of the building, change of use or for building a new building. by that point however, a good deal of the valuble elements may be gone with no opportunity to object.

I think that all that has happened is that the metal has been stripped, which is disgraceful, unless the building is about to be sold. I spoke last year to the vicar of Greenhill Methodist about the church, as he was the person to get in touch with about it. He explained to me that the church had been close to being sold on several occasions, but the sales had fallen through at the last stage. I personally hope that the church land is never allowed to be used to build a mosque on. I would prefer housing, that's if the building is to be demolished. But, certainly NO MOSQUE!!!

Edited by Joe9T

Whoever has removed the metal gates and fencing have, in my opinion, left it in a dangerous and unsightly state!:rant:

PS I went to playgroup at this church in the late 60's and can also remember the disco's in the mid 70's too.

The reason why it is known as "Sharrow St John/s Methodist Church" is because in WWII, John Street Methodist Chapel was bombed, and the congregations joined together, adding the name of St John/s to Sharrow.

I think that all that has happened is that the metal has been stripped, which is disgraceful, unless the building is about to be sold. I spoke last year to the vicar of Greenhill Methodist about the church, as he was the person to get in touch with about it. He explained to me that the church had been close to being sold on several occasions, but the sales had fallen through at the last stage. I personally hope that the church land is never allowed to be used to build a mosque on. I would prefer housing, that's if the building is to be demolished. But, certainly NO MOSQUE!!!

we could do with a bit of a clue WHY you object to the land becoming a mosque, and not just a "no way".

I personally think it would be better used as a mosque and keep a worshipping congregation on the site.

we could do with a bit of a clue WHY you object to the land becoming a mosque, and not just a "no way".

I personally think it would be better used as a mosque and keep a worshipping congregation on the site.

There is a big enough mosque, down the road on Wolseley Rd.

I personally think that the Methodist church should be ashamed of themselves.

I can understand if they couldn't afford to run the place or keep it open, but to leave bibles and many belongings of the church to gather dust and be desecrated on by pigeons, is to me inexcusable and so sacreligeous. It's a church that has worshipped God and Jesus Christ - a "Christian" church, and it would be very wrong to allow the land or the building for that matter to become a place of worship that is different to the beliefs of Christianity or the Christian faith.

Edited by Joe9T

There is a big enough mosque, down the road on Wolseley Rd.

I personally think that the Methodist church should be ashamed of themselves.

I can understand if they couldn't afford to run the place or keep it open, but to leave bibles and many belongings of the church to gather dust and be desecrated on by pigeons, is to me inexcusable and so sacreligeous. It's a church that has worshipped God and Jesus Christ - a "Christian" church, and it would be very wrong to allow the land or the building for that matter to become a place of worship that is different to the beliefs of Christianity or the Christian faith.

(my Bolds)

the mosque on wolesey road is predominantly sufi. (one of the three main sects within Islam,the other two being Sunni and Shi'a) In some senses it would be like asking a Jehovah's Witness, or a Mormon to worship in a catholic church.

(My bold 2)that's exactly why the church closed. Same as the other former Methodist Church*, which is now just a burnt out shell at the other end of South View Road...

Drastically dwindling congregations, miserly amounts given in the offertory from the people who do attend, and massively oversized buildings that are virtually impossible to heat and maintain...

you oppose a mosque opening on that site, but would you prefer that a pub or such like open in the building, as happened to the beautiful and historic former Wesleyan Methodist Church on Carver Street, where we are regularly treated to the beautiful sight of drunkards spewing up on the gravestones, and getting ratted whilst standing next to the war memorials to the fallen of the congregation? Is that a respectful end for a beautiful building like Carver Street church?

(* incidentally, the other church at the corner of Vincent road And South View Road became a Christian Science reading room about 45 or so years ago, and then a Sufi mosque, before the commercial attempt to convert it all into apartments, which resulted in the catastrophic fire which gutted the building)

Now, my final comment/ question...

Who was it, exactly that left the Church building in such a mess, with bibles etc strewn everywhere?

And why didn't the outgoing congregants ensure that the valuables like the bibles and other church trantlements were safely, and respectfully transferred to one of the other sister churches within the circuit?

(my Bolds)

the mosque on wolesey road is predominantly sufi. (one of the three main sects within Islam,the other two being Sunni and Shi'a) In some senses it would be like asking a Jehovah's Witness, or a Mormon to worship in a catholic church.

(My bold 2)that's exactly why the church closed. Same as the other former Methodist Church*, which is now just a burnt out shell at the other end of South View Road...

Drastically dwindling congregations, miserly amounts given in the offertory from the people who do attend, and massively oversized buildings that are virtually impossible to heat and maintain...

you oppose a mosque opening on that site, but would you prefer that a pub or such like open in the building, as happened to the beautiful and historic former Wesleyan Methodist Church on Carver Street, where we are regularly treated to the beautiful sight of drunkards spewing up on the gravestones, and getting ratted whilst standing next to the war memorials to the fallen of the congregation? Is that a respectful end for a beautiful building like Carver Street church?

(* incidentally, the other church at the corner of Vincent road And South View Road became a Christian Science reading room about 45 or so years ago, and then a Sufi mosque, before the commercial attempt to convert it all into apartments, which resulted in the catastrophic fire which gutted the building)

Now, my final comment/ question...

Who was it, exactly that left the Church building in such a mess, with bibles etc strewn everywhere?

And why didn't the outgoing congregants ensure that the valuables like the bibles and other church trantlements were safely, and respectfully transferred to one of the other sister churches within the circuit?

You seem to continue to ask a lot of questions and I answered your last question on why I didn't wish the building or the land to be used for a mosque.

The Carver Street chapel, which incidentely was also a Methodist church, was prior to it being sold to a brewery, approached by the Assemblies of God church on Copper St, Shalesmoor, who actually used Carver St for their Sunday Service/s (for most of the 1980's at least), as the "Copper St" building/church was not large enough for the congregation. The Assemblies of God wanted to purchase the church on Carver St, but the Methodists refused to sell to the AOG and therefore preferred to sell to a brewery.

I am not in any way supporting the Methodists, as they should NOT have left that church (Sharrow St John's) without like you say "the congregants ensuring that the valuables like the bibles and other church trantlements were safely, and respectfully transferred to one of the other sister churches within the circuit."

-The mess within the church may have become like that as time passed and people broke into the place and moved things about, but it is still shameful of the Methodist church.

I always believed that the burning of the church at the bottom of South View was questionable indeed and could it be that it was burnt for it to be pulled down and a mosque rebuilt in it's place or that somebody didn't want it to become flats, but rather a mosque? - (and look at it now, all scaffolded up)

St Barnabus church, close to Highfields library was converted into some kind of residential place many years ago.

Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons believe in Jesus Christ and are more closely linked to other "Christian" denominations, than the Islam faith or ideology, as some people call it.

You suggest in your response that I would prefer that a pub or such like opened in the building.

If you had read my post/s correctly, I said I would prefer the building to be used or the land used for housing.

It is sad, like you say, but do you really mean that, as you state that the news that the land might or is to be used to build a mosque will get "the 'frothers and foamers' juices running"?

Is is important to realise that even though churches like the Methodists are declining in numbers, other denominations like the Pentecostals are flourishing.

You mention about the "drunkards spewing up on the gravestones, and getting ratted whilst standing next to the war memorials to the fallen of the congregation?" And ask "Is that a respectful end for a beautiful building like Carver Street church?" ... No, it most certainly isn't and I have explained that a church wanted to buy that building frm the Methodists, but they declined.

Finally, I would to just like to remind you about what occurred in Libya, to the graves of the fallen, desecrated by men of the muslim faith.

Was that respectful?

I have answered your questions, now answer a few of mine.

Just to add that "Copper Street" Pentecostal church did eventually find a new home, which is now at The old Ebenezer church on South Parade, Shalesmoor. It is a thriving multi-cultural church affiliated with the Assemblies of God. It is now known as the City Life Christian Church. http://www.citylifecc.com/contact/

Edited by Joe9T