Old Methodist Church on Sharrow Lane

is that cemetry road sheffield the one iv just looked at is functional

There's also that old church on Cemetery Road surrounded by, you've guessed it, a large cemetery. It is abandoned and falling into ruins. Any plans to do anything about this? Seems such a shame.

That is called General cemetery the church lower down is still open

iv just taken a look but its the red bricks i want

There are two churches towards the bottom of cemetery road. The one nearest Waitrose is the baptist church. Then just before Greens health club, there's a very plain and simple chapel which I think is a Brethren Chapel. (I may be wrong on that count)

I'll go on Google and look but the one I'm thinking of is on the LHS going down the hill into Sheffield, surrounded by graves. It looked to me last time I was there 3 years ago that the only ones using it were the pigeons but I'll check.

---------- Post added 24-05-2013 at 15:17 ----------

OK. I have it now. The building, a spire like one, and the graveyard are directly opposite where Grange Rd intersects with Cemetery Rd.

I'll go on Google and look but the one I'm thinking of is on the LHS going down the hill into Sheffield, surrounded by graves. It looked to me last time I was there 3 years ago that the only ones using it were the pigeons but I'll check.

---------- Post added 24-05-2013 at 15:17 ----------

OK. I have it now. The building, a spire like one, and the graveyard are directly opposite where Grange Rd intersects with Cemetery Rd.

The neo-Gothic chapel is part of the General Cemetery. The cemetery was closed in the 1970s and passed to the Council, who moved in to clear part of the site. However, a group was set up to preserve the cemetery, which is now called the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust, and has recently been successful in getting money to restore the classical Non-Conformist chapel on the site (the gatehouse was restored some years ago). If you want to know more, visit the website at http://www.gencem.org/

The neo-Gothic chapel is part of the General Cemetery. The cemetery was closed in the 1970s and passed to the Council, who moved in to clear part of the site. However, a group was set up to preserve the cemetery, which is now called the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust, and has recently been successful in getting money to restore the classical Non-Conformist chapel on the site (the gatehouse was restored some years ago). If you want to know more, visit the website at http://www.gencem.org/

Thanks for this. It just looked neglected from the roadway. I guess if it's volunteers who are maintaining it they are doing the best they can.

It's a fantastic building but it won't be long til it's ruined with the roof and windows as they are

Still trying to find the owner of this site...I hung a sign on the fence but it must have been recycled,,,it seems strange the council won't let me recycle a few bricks and clean the place up but it's ok to throw your rubbish and old mattresses on the site so it won't be too long as its full of rubbish running wild with rats and whatever else so then the locals will be going crackers again,,,,,there are mattresses actually dumped there and various other items and rubbish sacks

Still trying to find the owner of this site...I hung a sign on the fence but it must have been recycled,,,it seems strange the council won't let me recycle a few bricks and clean the place up but it's ok to throw your rubbish and old mattresses on the site so it won't be too long as its full of rubbish running wild with rats and whatever else so then the locals will be going crackers again,,,,,there are mattresses actually dumped there and various other items and rubbish sacks

Is there anything left standing now.. ? I got some photo's of the remains of some plaster arches and some walls on the 19th.April. The small spire was laid intact among the rubble... I climbed up on a pile of bricks... about where we would have stood to marry ... on the 26th. May 1973. 40 years ago ! most nostalgic.....

Edited by oscar2157

Oscar, there's very little left, sadly. There's a little bit of the frontage of the newer section of the building (the 1906 section) but the whole of the 1889 building is gone.

Mark@alpha:- the brick, stone and timber are being recycled and sold by the blokes demolishing the building. You must have seen the signs on the fence and the door?

That's a different building has everyone forgotten the huge fire already,,check it out on you tube

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 07:35 ----------

I'm trying to preserve a bit of Sheffield dying heritage not make a profit,,the church that stood on the corner of Vincent road is all but a pile of rubble and rubbish now the profit has been made from the building I just want to save some of the rubble