Adding an Ipod Touch to "allowed devices" on a secured O2 router?

Rich

Topic.

Finally managed to aquire a 16 Gig Ipod Touch on Tuesday from CEX in Town, sold a collection of DS games worth £141.60, Ipod Touch £82.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it online to download from Itunes etc, and the only way I can do it is through Wi-Fi, which is enabled but asks for a password which I don't know, I emailed my Brother in London who is an IT Graduate and my tech support go to guy, and he says the router is set to only allow certain devices such as my PC and my Xbox 360 online to ward off hackers, so how do I get the router to be able to access my Ipod as an "allowed device"?

No LMGTFY links please.

Edited by Rich
spelling and grammar

Having a password to get on the router is normal. Modern computers that have accessed it once should retain the pw from the first time you entered it, so they never ask again.

Allowing only specified devices is called MAC Filtering - a further security step that is not on by default - it can't be - the router company does not know the unique MAC addresses of the devices you have.

To change or add devices, you need to log into the router's MAC address by typing it into a web browser. My Netgear router's MAC was 192.168.0.1 by default (since changed). Once you are that far, you still need the Admin log in name and password. This is not neccessarily the same as the pw your computer uses to access the net.

Your router's handbook will tell you the default admin/pw - maybe that has not been changed, try it. Note that some routers will only let you change settings when you are directly connected via an ethernet cable.

If you manage to get in, you need to add the Pod to the MAC list as a trusted device. On the iPod, go to System settings > General > About > Wifi Address. It will look like this 00:00:AB:00:00:B1. Obviously yours will be different - this is a made up example to show you the formatting. Type that into an empty slot on the MAC list and click on Save Changes.

Oh, and you still need the router pw to get the iPod on the net, but that should be visible in plain text once you are logged into the router's MAC.

Edited by VideoPro

To log in to your O2 router, type on the address bar in a web browser:

http://192.168.1.254

for the User Name type: SuperUser

for the password look at the label on the bottom of the router, underneath the bar code there should be a SN (serial number) which is usually 11 characters long, a combination of letters (UPPER CASE) and numbers, this is the password. There may be a couple of extra numbers in brackets at the end of the SN, ignore these, they are not part of the password.

Once you have logged in:

click on 'Home Network' on the left-hand menu

then click on 'WLAN:' which is underneath 'Wireless' in the middle of the screen.

then lick on 'Details' which is near the top right

Network Name (SSID): This is the name of your wireless network, you should see this when you go into the WiFi settings on the ipod.

Lower down it should mention something like "WPA-PSK Preshared Key:", or it may say 'WEP Key' or something similar, this will probably be 10 letters and digits. This is the key you need to specify on the ipod to login.

There should be a setting called "Allow new devices". If this is set to 'New stations are allowed (automatically)' then your ipod should be able to connect. If it says 'New stations are allowed (via registration)' then you should press the button on the front/middle of the router, you then have about 30 seconds to connect the ipod (you only need to do this the first time). If it says 'New stations are not allowed' then you can't connect, you may need to change the setting (click on 'Configure' near top right).

Good luck.

IF its your ipod and YOUR wifi network then youd know the password to put in?

if it isnt then your trying to connectt o somebody elses Oo

It;s my PC but the router was set up and secured by my Brother, who lives in London.

well you try connecting, you need a password, he should tell it you...if he dunt, he dont want you on it Oo

It's not that, thing is I have a few online enemies on this and other forums who would like nothing more than to hack into my Internet and cause mischief to put it politely.

So my router is secured to only allow online access to my PC and my Xbox.

It's not that, thing is I have a few online enemies on this and other forums who would like nothing more than to hack into my Internet and cause mischief to put it politely.

errrrrrrrrrrm

My bold.

Really? Really, really, really really?

I think anyone with the skills and time to get past a WPA2 protected router with active firewall, MAC filtering and blanked SSID will not be interested in your computer's contents. Maybe that of a bank or something, but a personal router? No way!

I'm going to admit I know next to nothing about the internals of a Windows system so...

On my Macs there is a piece of software called "Keychain Access" it stores info about my various internet passwords, router etc. I choose the one I want, click Show Password and it asks for my Admin name & system password then shows the info I need. (Don't worry, I ran a test on my system pw. Apparently, it will take a modern computer 43 trillion years to crack it.)

Does Windows have something similar? If so, it will have the router name and pw stored too. Bingo! You are in. Then you just need the instructions from my post above to add a new MAC address.